Stray Fawn Community

Please bring the camera trackers still displaying after being destroyed “bug”

ManTheMister

The camera trackers still displaying on the minimap after being destroyed was extremely useful. Maybe after they have been destroyed change the minimap icon to a skull? Seeing death points of sub-drones was a very useful feature.

Edit:

Icon doesn’t have to be a skull. Just something that signifies a death point. It could still be a small circle. But I think that it should be a feature, not a bug.

Edited by ManTheMister
Add “Edit” section

12 replies to this post

3 minutes ago, Alpino_WILL_STEAL_ oats! said:

But, it’s a bug though. And I know how useful it is

Just because it’s technically a bug doesn’t mean it can’t be a feature. Lots of games have had bugs that were useful, but not game-breaking and made them into features.

• Like 1

Maybe the minimap has a miximum number of icons, and when a new camera tracker is made, the oldest icon gets removed from the minimap. Something would need to be put in place for if more than the Maximum number of live camera trackers were in existence at the same time. Maybe have it refresh a dot whenever a tracker is turned on so that the most recent X trackers activated are on the map as opposed to the most recent X camera trackers built. Or maybe just only have a limit for dead camera trackers and not live ones.

I don't feel like any arbitrary number is going to be the right number in this case; the dots are big, and easy to confuse with one another.  Giving some feedback (shrinking) on how old the dots are would limit their obstruction of the map, as well as helping the player differentiate between what's active and what's destroyed.

I have a drone currently that rebuilds itself when destroyed, so I end up leaving quite a number of shadows on a map when I'm careless, and I'm somewhat relieved that they're no longer permanent obstructions.

I'm okay with that.  But forever?  What if I'm careless?  What if i use subdrones or if the bombs in my bomb dispersals or missiles have cameras? 

Factories gave the capability to make drones and subdrones disposable.  You may not use them that way, but I've had the hopper become difficult to precisely locate because the death of my ore couriers makes it indistinguishable from terrain. Some players are going to have a LOT of death icons on their map. 

Maybe in the editor you could set each camera tracker to “Show minimap icon after death”, “Don’t show death point”, or “Don’t show on minimap ever”.

Or just have death points disableable in settings.

or have a “Clear Minimap” button somewhere.

Do you mind if I ask when it will be more useful to see a drone death 5 minutes later, rather than only seeing them for a minute? 

It seems that once you've got your bearings on the location, the only reason to display all dots is for statistical analysis. 

How did you make use of them?  I feel like I'm missing something. 

What about adding a new tracker part that sticks to the terrain, can be activated / deactivated and displays a customizable dot on the minimap while active? 

We could also use it as target for the directional sensor 🤔

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Micha said:

What about adding a new tracker part that sticks to the terrain, can be activated / deactivated and displays a customizable dot on the minimap while active? 

He wants to track a location after destruction, though. 

I am all for that, as long as you can name or tag them so a drone can seek a SPECIFIC tracker. But it wouldn't address ManTheMister's request. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Micha said:

Custom trackers we're on the same mind