Stray Fawn Community

Challenge: World flattener

ManTheMister

Build a drone that flattens the terrain, so that anything above 0% altitude gets destroyed and anything below 0% altitude gets filled in. Once the world has been completely flattened, the drone flies away and self-destructs, leaving room for whatever crazy-high-tech thing that you might want to build on a perfectly round planet.

• Like 1

I've actually built something for ALMOST this; cirularizing a planet as you strip mine it, so your miner can move faster.  I was hoping for adjustable altimeter targets, to make strip mining this way more plausible.  I may end up making a ship with twenty altimeters and a metric butt-ton of logic, instead.

In the meantime, I'll consider this.  I may use a lower altitude - the hopper gets in the way, sometimes.

38 minutes ago, Alpino_WILL_STEAL_ oats! said:

Well all you would need to do for the destruction part is use a weapon like a laser or somthing at max range with an altimeter at an altitude the puts the lasers max range at 0% altitude.

But that doesn’t solve the problem of filling in areas that are below 0 altitude.

2 hours ago, DaddyLongLegs said:

Use a distance sensor, if it doesn’t detect land then fire bio laser

I'd just fire it regardless, and cut down the excess continually.  Not sure I'd use a laser, though.  

To really do it properly, and avoid pockets, I think you'd have to eliminate the planet first, though.  Then drop some debris in the hole as an impact point to seed the new world.

Perhaps a world-eater that self-destructs at very low altitudes, and whose signal, when lost, triggers the release of the reconstructor.

Actually I made this suggestion because I was too lazy to design a world flattener on my own at the time that I posted this. I wanted a world flattener so that I could make a conveyor belt that covered the whole world and brought things back to the Hopper.

but now, I’m planning on making the world flattener assemble the conveyor belt behind it as it moves and dropping full resource containers onto the conveyor belt.

Huh.  Conveyor belt . . . . . . magnetic? I once made a repulsor magnet relay to serve that purpose.  It was timing-dependent, though, so it couldn't be manufactured segment by segment. while preserving the timing.  How's yours work?  I'm more interested in this than the flat world, honestly.

Edit: Actually, maybe you could, if you could place the next piece carefully enough that it put a hinge inside some blacks meant to trap that hinge, rather than having them connected by struts.