Stray Fawn Community

What parts would you like to see added next?

What parts would you like to see next?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Defensive parts

• Repair bays (Repair’s nereby blocks)
    • Large sheilds (larger, but creates larger sheild and consumes more power)
    • Contact stunners (stuns creatures who make contact with parts directly attached to it [would be useful against parasitic enemies, if they are added])
  2. 2. Fuel and batteries

• Generators/ refineries ( generates respective resource faster but heats up)
    • Larger batteries/fuel tanks
  3. 3. Thrusters

• Eco thrusters (slower yet more fuel efficient)
    • Turbo thrusters ( starts slow then speeds up)
    • Hyper thrusters (fast but inefficient)

The idea is that great it’s/refineries would be absurdly OP if they could directly supply power to a single medium battery and power the whole craft because the generators could keep supplying power at rate similar to the rate at which your craft consumes power. Which eliminates the need for thrusters.

I think that a 2x2 generator would produce 2x the amount of energy as as a 2x2 battery currently does, and that would be realatively balanced, in my opinion. You would still need some way to store energy. To keep it balanced, supercapacitors wouldn’t be able to be recharged at all, because otherwise a generator and a supercapacitor would have more capacity and the same regen rate as 2 2x2 batteries, and they would take up the same amount of space.

Edit: I don’t think that making things heat up with use is a good way to balance things (except maybe some weapons).

Edited by ManTheMister

7 minutes ago, ManTheMister said:

We’re both talking about a block that generates energy/fuel at an increased rate at the cost of energy capacity, right? No extra complications?

yep. But, if it where to function without say, using fuel to generate energy, or heat up its surroundings, it would have no draw backs, just complications. for example If this where added this in an update, and you wanted to fire your weapons at the same rate at witch you regain energy, all you would have to do is: remove all but 1 or 2 of your batteries, then replace them with half as many generators, witch feed into the batterie(s) as the batterie(s) is(are) drained. wich would effectively free up half of your space, with no actual drawbacks. See what I mean? It would be absurd to treat generators that way, where you can just let them feed into batteries without a cost. They wouldn't be balanced if there only requirement was batteries. And in case you didn't know what i meant: Generators are activated by a button press, and start feeding into your batteries at rate 2x that of a normal battery, if they generate power for too long they Heat up there suroundings.

You are correct. However, I do not think converting fuel into energy or causing things to heat up is the proper solution.

maybe make generators situational. (Solar panels give energy at high altitudes, thermal generators give energy while hot, etc.), or make them only give energy to pieces that they are directly connected to.

11 minutes ago, ManTheMister said:

You are correct. However, I do not think converting fuel into energy or causing things to heat up is the proper solution.

maybe make generators situational. (Solar panels give energy at high altitudes, thermal generators give energy while hot, etc.), or make them only give energy to pieces that they are directly connected to.

I don't think making Future additions more niche is the answer either. having a thousand diferent kinds of the same drone for diferent planets is boring. 

29 minutes ago, Alpino_WILL_STEAL_ oats! said:

I don't think making Future additions more niche is the answer either. having a thousand diferent kinds of the same drone for diferent planets is boring. 

It wouldn’t be different for different planets. Solar panels give you more energy depending on your altitude, while thermal generators give energy while hot. They work the same on each planet.

I think what he means is that you'd redesign with thermal generators for magma planets, use solar for missions without digging.  Not that they would work differently, just that they would have different usefulness, and that each location would have a 'correct' choice, so they wouldn't be a strategic choice.