Stray Fawn Community

Scrapyard planet

Alpino_WILL_STEAL_ oats!

Imagine a planet so polluted, so tainted by humanity’s carelessness, so ravaged and torn that we stopped trying to save a long time ago, a planet filled with trash and smog, where the ecosystem itself evolved to exist off the trash, imagine a scrapworld. Gateways open from across the galaxy dumping their trash in the millions of tons. Colossal machines built to compact and dispose of waste roam across the surface. The harsh buzz of an alarm sounds, and floating debris for miles around, are pulled towards their final destination as giant magnets pull them in. The the toxic materials disposed here leak and seep out of their containers, creating a noxious miasma that seeps across the surface of the planet. Malfunctioning machines haunt the surface, acting randomly and sparaticly. Strange scrap covered creatures rummage through it all, searching for waste to adorn their shells with. The inner workings of the planet tick in a clockwork inferno. Using geothermal reactions to incinerate the waste. The smoke of the machines rise up creating lovely cover for the scum of the galaxy. Pirates and scavengers rummage the surface for unwanted valuables. Long man-made tunnels stretch down into the planet, ended by large trash compactors. Such is the tragic fate of many planets.

In normal words this means:

• Orbital debris
  • giant magnets that suck you down if your not careful 
  • A smog that sometimes rolls through and obscures you vision
  • giant trash compactors that can crush you
  • rust big enemies with malfunctioning turrets on their backs
  • malfuntioning turrets and transmitters pepper the surface
  • rare portals open up that drop cosmetic scrap
  • Giant WALL-Es roam across the surface (not sure what they do)
  • pirates with magnet ships  roam the planet(there like the training enemies)
  • giant incinerators
  • ship reckages 
  • rare easteregg where a scrapworld can be called earth.
  • Like 3

12 replies to this post

yeah I was thinking about an oil rig planet than it hit me. I kinda made it up of the spot. The mission objective would be to retrieve a valuable item / destroy the malfunctioning machines because they are interfering.

I also had an idea for a giant scrap amalgam, but I decided that was far-fetched 

1 hour ago, Alpino_WILL_STEAL_ oats! said:

yeah I was thinking about an oil rig planet than it hit me. I kinda made it up of the spot. The mission objective would be to retrieve a valuable item / destroy the malfunctioning machines because they are interfering.

I also had an idea for a giant scrap amalgam, but I decided that was far-fetched 

Not SO far fetched.  Debris can accumulate at Lagrange points and such.

4 minutes ago, Alpino_WILL_STEAL_ oats! said:

I was refering to a giant living monstrosisty madeof scrap

Even with that added information, an AI ship self-repairing with random scrap found in the universe isn't that far-fetched, either.  A living thing made out of it seems a bit out of step with lore; most alien life we've seen has been wildlife rather than anything of the intellect to use technology.  But still, we're talking about a video game; I think Nimbatus could carry it, if it tried to.

• Like 1

If that sort of planet lets us see (and fight) some drones rather than small enemies, then I am all for it. The Dantesque fights it would cause!

I might try and craft walkers as a result. Of course I will fail, but it will be fun.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2018 at 6:54 PM, Ookami-sama said:

I might try and craft walkers as a result. Of course I will fail, but it will be fun.

Word of advice.  Use thrusters to hold the feet down.  Rotate hinges in opposite directions, and you can keep a leg pointing down, even as you rotate a joint to move it up and down.

With the new logic available, you can get much more complex movements than were available when I last tried.  Have fun!

There always are the, ahem, clumsy-looking squatting legs with two motorised hinges each. They kind of act like human legs, except they cannot cross each other because this is 2D we are speaking about. So it is really just a squatting robot.

This one is a little more animal-like, though a little slow (on purpose). I will name it AT-AT. Do not mind the spinning things, they are just logic (I inverted a thruster; it was supposed to go up to the ceiling).

Nimbatus_GIF_201810292252162073.gif.0fd00ec47401891ded655293e6dff97e.gif

The Empire comes for you slowly!

A interesting option to add more interest to the galaxy, as for a objective it could be a rescue operation to recover a lost/malfunctioning satellite. This would be similar to the bio barrel quest but to satellite could be much bigger/heavy and even have defenses that would need to be carefully disabled before you could transport it safely.

38 minutes ago, troynx01 said:

A interesting option to add more interest to the galaxy, as for a objective it could be a rescue operation to recover a lost/malfunctioning satellite. This would be similar to the bio barrel quest but to satellite could be much bigger/heavy and even have defenses that would need to be carefully disabled before you could transport it safely.

It would probably work more similarly to the “collect a relic” quests.