Stray Fawn Community

Self destruct

Crossing

9 replies to this post

I use heaters but same diff, problem is tnt leaves a mess, the parts can explode that's not what I am saying I want my tnt missile to stop leaving thrusters everywhere, also adjustable tnt explosion range and damage would be cool 

That bug is really just for borderline cases; one TNT wouldn't destroy a thruster even without that bug, and the solution to add more TNT than a weapon needs doesn't seem ideal to me.

Do you parent the thruster to a destroyed part?  At least then the thruster is debris, destroyable by weapon fire.  I usually parent things to a decoupler or LED next to TNT.  Fragile stuff, to make sure things aren't active parts after destruction, contributing to lag.

I think the heater is a good solution, actually, given that it spreads to nearby parts and is almost certain to destroy it all.

EDIT: I checked, and both decouplers and LED's have 1000 HP - which stymies me, because the few times I need them to endure, they are always the first things to blow.  In any case, find a delicate thing. Distance sensor, maybe.  Though you should be able to parent directly to the TNT, with recent updates fixing some cleanup issues, I think.

Tiny heaters and such have 1k hp too. Which is why I think dynamite should be 1= Smaller and 2= have the amount of damage it does on a slider based on 500 increments, up to maybe 2k. Its dumb that things currently smaller than a giant amount of explosives wouldnt be destroyed by it.

I think having the option to apply fire with tnt should fulfill most self destruct needs.  But I think all parts, TNT included, need to get an upgrade workshop.  I think this is really important to Nimbatus. It's a lot of work, but I think it will really pay off. 

More damage, more or less range, all of that can go in there. 

Regarding hp, I think when part HP gets a balancing pass, some of the ridiculous HP amounts will go down. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lurkily said:

I think having the option to apply fire with tnt should fulfill most self destruct needs.

Fire would be nice, but fire takes time to destroy, even at 100 power my heater cant destroy things faster than 10 seconds, which is what the limit for timers is, which is what is currently causing me some problems... Im trying to use logic splitters now to help and thats not doing it either, not that I fully understand what I can do with em. Id like to isolate a signal to a part as soon as its decoupled and its not working :/ Im not sure why this is even a thing, it would be better if this was normal behavior.

which forum would we ask for scripting help by the way? I think there should be a forum for that...

Make the TNT the parent of the rest of the ship.  Everything else is then debris, disabling logic, and as long as it's all adjacent, eventually fully destroyed, unless you have some fireproof parts.

Scripting . . . do you mean logic use?

1 hour ago, unmog said:

Fire would be nice, but fire takes time to destroy, even at 100 power my heater cant destroy things faster than 10 seconds, which is what the limit for timers is, which is what is currently causing me some problems... Im trying to use logic splitters now to help and thats not doing it either, not that I fully understand what I can do with em. Id like to isolate a signal to a part as soon as its decoupled and its not working :/ Im not sure why this is even a thing, it would be better if this was normal behavior.

which forum would we ask for scripting help by the way? I think there should be a forum for that...

For the first part, see “events do not propogate without connection”.

for the second part, you should use the General Discussion section.