Stray Fawn Community

New magnet options

Marker Mage

So I think I've got an idea that will greatly improve the functionality and number of uses for magnets: the ability to choose what they will attract/repel.

1. Drone Parts: I've heard of some people who use magnets instead of struts, but how about letting them do that without also attracting enemies? Can finally pull yourself together without attracting unwanted attention.
  2. Enemies: Who doesn't like tossing a magnet in the middle of enemies and activating it? People that don't want to get caught up in the ball of things that want to kill them, that's who! Put this on a magnet, slap that magnet on some thrusters and a gravity directional sensor, slap that on a factory/decoupler, and you got something that can drag your enemies down to earth without pulling you down with them. Or you can slap it onto your own drone and set it to repel to keep enemies at a distance.
  3. Terrain: Sometimes, you need an anchor, and what is the best thing for an anchor to get stuck to? The ground! Focus on repulsion instead, and you can make yourself a hovercraft.
  4. Other Magnets: For those who want something very specific, how about the ability to just have the magnet work only on other magnets set to this setting that are also attracting/repelling at the same time?
  5. Debri/Bio Barrels/Other stuff you might have to collect: You got to collect something for a mission, but also got to protect it. You can't afford to have the same thing pulling it in also pull in the things you want to protect it from.
  6. Anything else a distance sensor can be set to: Just to cover all of the possibilities.

3 replies to this post

There was talk about a glue block or grapple block of some sort that this also might be useful for.

I'm a firm believer though, that the magnet is so situational, and of such limited usefulness, that it should be a 'gravity' block instead and just stick to anything.

EDIT: As for stabilizing magnets, lower their radius until they're almost entirely inside your ship.

1 hour ago, Lurkily said:

I'm a firm believer though, that the magnet is so situational, and of such limited usefulness, that it should be a 'gravity' block instead and just stick to anything.

I would go with the name "attractor/repulsor". Might stick "matter" or something sci-fi-ish to the beginning. Maybe split it into two separate and smaller parts.

I would voice concerns about how such feature might definitely crush any kind of miniscule physics-ish general knowledge about magnetic waves (i.e. only a handful of select metals are actually anything you can influence with magnetic waves of a reasonable power, at a reasonable temperature), but... well. Marvel does not care, and readers are convinced that a magnetic field is enough to e.g. pull blades made of an imaginary metal out of a werewolf's body. Whatever adamantium could be, too, but if it was that susceptible to magnetism it would make a poor choice when the greatest and most renowned villain on the planet is a walking magnet with a power of a few thousands of Tesla.

Ahem! Magnets already effect drone parts, enemies, other magnets, bio barrels, wrecks, enemy bullets, those chests that might be full of ore (I think). Making them selective would make them more suited to various particular tasks (one at a time, though), but all the cases you mentioned are already available in the game except third and sixth, and from my experience they rarely conflict with each other. You can already shoot a working magnet into a pack of enemies, and if your craft is at risk of breaking down from the slightest magnetic field, just delay the magnet's operating (and make a less unstable ship, too); attracting barrels or wrecks can be done with a very narrow magnetic field, so you do not quite risk catching anything into it.

I fail to see what this would bring except a need to spend more time in the building screen, and maybe slap a number of identical components onto the same ship for various different uses. As it stands, magnets are already selective as per their places on your craft: internal ones cannot attract nearby ferrous objects since they do not come near, devices used for collection are not supposed to come anywhere around enemies, magnet bombs will definitely not stay close to your space destroyer. As for sticking to terrain, I can see a way to make it work without resorting to "terrain attractors", which would be pretty useless as magnets anyway if they do not attract or repel anything but terrain.