Stray Fawn Community

Simple idea for dummies like me

Crossing

Just a simple texture or text change to sensors like directional add a small r and l to the graphic so that when it has been rotated, flipped and copied I know which side is right and left same for temperature gage, speed and altitude maybe even in the right and left options out (pink side) and (red side) 

Again please help your dislics

15 replies to this post

I also have isues with this.  I assign CCW rotation thrusters to the "Tilted right" output . . . then the drone tilts right, and immediately turns itself upside down.  

Maybe if they were renamed 'tilted counter/clockwise' it might alleviate some confusion - clockwise requires no frame of reference.  Or even use these unicode arrows: ⟲ ⟳ 

• Like 1

Directional is the only thing I consistently get wrong.  Is it just me, or are the outputs backwards?  I keep assigning CCW thrust to 'tilted right,' and the ship turns upside down.  'Tilted right' should be when the sensor is rotated clockwise from the tolerance, right?

49 minutes ago, Lurkily said:

Directional is the only thing I consistently get wrong.  Is it just me, or are the outputs backwards?  I keep assigning CCW thrust to 'tilted right,' and the ship turns upside down.  'Tilted right' should be when the sensor is rotated clockwise from the tolerance, right?

The directions seem backwards to me too. When the black dot is in the left half of the circle it outputs tilted left, even though it’s actually tilted right.

I agree that I get the direction sensor backwards all the time.  Maybe as a solution to all this confusion they could indicate what color-swatch region the output key corresponds to by putting pink and red squares by the output names. That way we can go "hrm yes, the pink half circle corresponds to this tag and key I've bound." You wouldn't even have to add color swatches, they could change the color of the yellow up arrow signal out symbols on each line to match the sensor region colors. 

I think that CCW and CW labels instead of left/right on these are not appropriate, because CCW and CW are directions, not positions. When you keep rotating CW at what point to do say that you are actually CCW instead?

It helps if you think of the grey tolerance area as twelve o' clock, even though the sensor spawns with the grey at 6.

2 hours ago, notsew93 said:

I think that CCW and CW labels instead of left/right on these are not appropriate, because CCW and CW are directions, not positions. When you keep rotating CW at what point to do say that you are actually CCW instead?

It helps if you think of the grey tolerance area as twelve o' clock, even though the sensor spawns with the grey at 6.

If you're naming it after tilt, then CW and Right are functionally identical, except one requires no frame of reference.  I agree that labels are needed, but I think that accurately naming them is also necessary.

I'm also in favor of having output criteria for sensors, though, (Instead of 'tilted right,' use a configurable range of degrees as a match criteria) and that would obviate much confusion.

But if you flip the sensor 180°, rotating CW would be instead triggering the zone labeled CCW. This is the same problem as the "Tilted Right" and "Tilted Left" labeling. Figuring out some actually unambiguous way of indicating what region it is in, like color labels or perhaps highlighting the correct wedge while the game is waiting for you to type in a tag/key would be better - CW vs. CCW doesn't really solve the problem. 

My personal favorite idea for getting more angle options out of the Tilted sensor is to make an alternate version of the part that is round like the fuel tank. That way you can mount it at whatever angle suits your purpose. 

I think we are on the same page about what should change though, we just have different idea about what it should change into. 

14 minutes ago, notsew93 said:

But if you flip the sensor 180°, rotating CW would be instead triggering the zone labeled CCW. This is the same problem as the "Tilted Right" and "Tilted Left" labeling.

The fact that it seems correct when you turn it backwards doesn't make it less backwards. 

I'm not sure how making it round helps.  It still has a default up and down that it's placed with, and the tolerance is still going to be pointing down or to the right for most applications - directional sensors are usually sumo center, enemy drone core,  or gravity, none of which conform to a natural assumption that the tolerance should be considered "up".

It's all meaningless if sensor ranges go fully configurable, though.

I agree with your assessment of where it is useful to position the tolerance zone, and indeed when the tolerance zone is pointing towards those places it seems backwards. I would be happy with flipping the names of these regions, but I hope we realize that even though it would be better if the names were flipped, it can still seem wrong in certain situations. 

The round tilted sensor idea was meant to be an alternate suggestion to your custom range of degrees suggestion, for if I understand you correctly both of these suggestions solve the same problem of "But what if I want it pointed at 22.5°?", though your custom angle range suggestion provides even more flexibility than the round sensor idea. (creating two tolerance zones, for instance, if you want pink to be from 30°-60° and red from 75°-125°.)