Stray Fawn Community

Rigid strut part

ManTheMister

Drone stability is a major issue in nimbatus, and to help fix it I propose the Rigid Strut. It works like springs, as in it is a 1x1 block with a different type of strut, except instead of a less rigid strut, it has a completely rigid strut. It would still be balanced because you need an extra block for each rigid strut, so most struts would still be as they are right now, and only the necessary struts are rigid.

Edit: what if instead of an extra part, the connections between basic blocks (and maybe the drone core) were rigid? It would solve the problem of basic blocks being relatively useless right now, and would make them  very useful “skeleton” or scaffolding inside of your drones.

Edited by ManTheMister
  • Like 2

11 replies to this post

I was considering using a magnet and just leaving it on all the time :p but then of course theres the problem of it pulling bullets toward me as well as an energy requirement~ I was about to suggest a "anti spring" or strut idea to pull things in and keep it from wobbling.

Would be a neat idea for an upgrade for your core too tho, "stronger struts"

6 hours ago, Lurkily said:

Unmog, reduce radius until it's entirely inside your ship. 

Would only work really for mostly circularish ships tho~ >.> and lets not forget magnets are pretty big and still require a lot of energy. Id like smaller more efficient magnets tho specifically for this purpose however. *nods* Then I could easily design them into existing ship builds... *nodnods*

Or, we could just have a strong tiny strust, that works just as well probably~

What about a merging block system where two identical blocks become one larger single block. This would mostly be for fuel, energy and basic blocks. It would allow for smoother looking drones and cover a lot of link changes some want and even add triangles which we both lack and need

The devs have stated that too much rigidity probably isn't the way they want to go; that it makes it difficult to build badly.

In the meantime, linking parts in interwoven zigzags can 'lace up' a drone, so that parts pulling away from the left side are resisted by a part on the right side, and so forth.

3 hours ago, ManTheMister said:

They can change lengths a little bit. I build railguns somewhat often. Struts definitely extend a bit.

They do not. They can rotate a little*, which, in larger contraptions or with magnets on different axes, happens frequently, but their length is absolute. Speaking of railguns, below is the proof.

*Which I incorrectly said was a sort of bending. Struts do not bend, either, it is the component at the base that rotates.

Nimbatus_GIF_201811252321495987.gif.ae3f7e8423d0e144f4e39112a003752d.gif

The two magnets are repelling/attracting each other, and they stay at the exact same distance from one another. Small blocks are there to show the magnets are working.

Nimbatus_GIF_201811252326094006.gif.58d62ab5efbbddb718e7247da991c784.gif

More magnets, longer strut, still nothing. With more force, perhaps...?

1811471165_Strutslength.gif.3070d424aed72cbfd669e424303d04e7.gif

1320 newtons, still nothing. Blocks do rotate quite a bit, but their centres stay in the exact same place.

I can produce more proofs, but perhaps these are enough?

Edit: it is more obvious on this one:

1649314291_Strutslength.gif.3be950d08161450e737569f273828eb6.gif