Stray Fawn Community

Swap tilted right/left

ManTheMister

Right now the direction sensor outputs “tilted left when the black dot is in the lift half, even though the sensor is tilted right.

I think that either A) The output name should be changed, or B) The outputs should be swapped.

Edit: Should this be in bugs? I don’t think it’s actually a bug, but it might be.

Edited by ManTheMister
Insect.

3 replies to this post

If you turn the sensor upside down and think of the grey tolerance wedge as twelve o' clock, the mistakes start to go away. 

The ambiguity here is inherent in trying to assign "left" and "right" to regions of a rotationally symmetric object. 

I agree that the either the sensor should spawn the right way around, or that the variable lines should be color-coded to match the half-circle regions, or the region names should be swapped. Or some combination thereof.  

The old adage used by anybody who works with tools is "Righty tighty, lefty loosey;" this refers to clockwise as being right, rotation from the top.  I don't know of any standard that trains people otherwise. 

Pointing the tolerance in the opposite direction of its default may be able to help avoid errors, but it still amounts to 'think of it backwards'.  I also think the inputs should be named 'clockwise' and 'counter, but as long as it behaves as expected I'll be okay.