Stray Fawn Community

V0.5.9 Screen shake/recoil on grenade/rocket use....

troynx01

Since the last update continuous fire of weapons like the grenade launcher and the rockets is just eye shattering

With one or two shots the minor screen shake is OK but as you either get more of the weapon or keep firing the shake gets worse and is like a rave party.

I currently do not have a screen recording program installed but I did upload a drone that will show anyone the issue. Look for "Full Auto Destroy" on the workshop then just press  "numpad +" to create the issue shortly as the drones are deployed the screen will be so jittery that you will not want to look at it. 

Could you either reduce the maximum amount of shake or even include a toggle option in the settings to turn it off for people who don't like it or perhaps experience sickness from this sort of thing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The OP referred to screen shake as a rave party. Rave parties have bright, flashy laser lights. Bright, flashy laser lights are fairly well established triggers. Nimbatus also has bright, flashy laser lights. I demonstrated a cool thing I made on Nimbatus to my mother. My mother suffers from migraines. I fired bright flashy laser lights. She /quit

That was my logic train, at least 😅  

Fair enough. I had a photosensitive room mate who likely would have punched out if he ever saw a couple of my more laser heavy creations. My limited understanding is that seizure trigger frequencies can vary drastically, along with the color, contrast, and in some cases shape and motion. 

My condolences on the diagnosis. 😕

Not a big deal; I have a medication that works and keeps me stable.  

Seizure triggers vary widely; in some cases a sound or a smell can even trigger it, but often there are no clear triggers at all.  It's more like a threshold, and certain conditions lower that threshold until you're in danger of seizing.

The vast majority of photosensitive seizures are linked to frequency, though.  This is why video games for a long time carried warnings about repetitive patterns of light; it's not the light that's wiggy, per se, but the repetition at set frequencies, linked to animation frame rates.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for sharing this @Lurkily. If we can improve anything in this regard, please tell us.

So what I got so far is the ability to turn off or tone down screenshake. Would you like to see another setting which improves comfort and safety in general?

The biggest bit of advice I can give in that regard is to try and avoid cyclic patterns of light.  Given the nature of this game, a player can make a strobe if they want, so that's hard to avoid, but you can at least try and avoid things that strobe by default.

The trigger is usually somehow cyclic - flashing or flickering lights or images.  Sometimes very specific patterns of light-and-dark. (Such as a curtain behind a barred window, with bars of a specific ratio of width to space, viewed at the right distance.)  It's fairly rare, and I don't have that form of epilepsy.  It affects about 1 in 400 epilepsy sufferers.

From the Wikipedia article on photosensitive epilepsy: 

Several characteristics are common in the trigger stimuli of many people with PSE. The patterns are usually high in luminance contrast (bright flashes of light alternating with darkness, or white bars against a black background). Contrasts in colour alone (without changes in luminance) are rarely triggers for PSE. Some patients are more affected by patterns of certain colours than by patterns of other colours. The exact spacing of a pattern in time or space is important and varies from one individual to another: a patient may readily experience seizures when exposed to lights that flash seven times per second, but may be unaffected by lights that flash twice per second or twenty times per second. Stimuli that fill the entire visual field are more likely to cause seizures than those that appear in only a portion of the visual field. Stimuli perceived with both eyes are usually much more likely to cause seizures than stimuli seen with one eye only (which is why covering one eye may allow patients to avoid seizures when presented with visual challenges). Some patients are more sensitive with their eyes closed; others are more sensitive with their eyes open.

Again, I don't suffer that form of epilepsy, and my condition is controlled by medication, so don't worry about me too much.  :)

• Like 1

Thank you for the insights. It's good to have such things in the back of our minds when we design things like effects. This helps us to somewhat minimize such things. But as you said, the game itself has a big possibility space to create discomfort (self-induced or by default) :/ .