Stray Fawn Community

Procedurally generated boss fights

ManTheMister

I was research nimbatus and I found the old forums back from 2014. One of the things that caught my eye was boss fights that had bosses with randomly generated weapons and AI. Why don’t we bring that back, except this time, instead of a dungeon on a massive planet (I also liked seeing Infinitely generated explorable planets), the bosses would be their own mission. I’m not sure how it would work in the lore (maybe it’s kind of like the mini sumo arenas in space, an arena mini-game with some sort of giant robot boss thing), but I think that the 2014 Micah got a lot of things right.

I also kind of want a download for the latest early alpha version that still had infinite planets. I want to try it out (If it works on Mac. Probably not).

3 replies to this post

8 hours ago, ManTheMister said:

I was research nimbatus and I found the old forums back from 2014. One of the things that caught my eye was boss fights that had bosses with randomly generated weapons and AI. Why don’t we bring that back, except this time, instead of a dungeon on a massive planet (I also liked seeing Infinitely generated explorable planets), the bosses would be their own mission. I’m not sure how it would work in the lore (maybe it’s kind of like the mini sumo arenas in space, an arena mini-game with some sort of giant robot boss thing), but I think that the 2014 Micah got a lot of things right.

I also kind of want a download for the latest early alpha version that still had infinite planets. I want to try it out (If it works on Mac. Probably not).

Arenas are coming back, or that is the intent.  The previous implementation was basically a big metal box with doors in the cardinal directions, with enemies from the test-chamber used as opponents.  It was a survival match, and was based on . . . was it how many rounds you advanced?  Or time?  I don't recall.

I don't recall boss fights, per se, but there were big and small enemies in those arenas.

Bossfights that have their own massive dungeon and use some clever mechanics is definitely on our todo list :)
As you have researched corretly I did some internal experiments years ago where I had a boss that adapts his tactics to your drone ;)

For example if you always attack with rockets the boss will develop shields to protect himself the next time you see him.
Or if you have a fast drone that always evades his attack, he will come up with a strategy to slow you down.
The idea behind this was to generate an interesting boss that adapts to your playstyle over time.

9 hours ago, ManTheMister said:

There is a demo from 2016 on IndieDB that works for Mac, windows and linux (https://www.indiedb.com/games/nimbatus/downloads
But we also plan to release a bunch of even older windows demos (one with infinite landscape and even one where the game was 3D) for the full release of Nimbatus. :)

• Like 2