Stray Fawn Community

Projectile upgrade count 3 +shotgun & digging3 +short laser.

unmog

Apparently, the poor shotgun cant fully take advantage of one of the best weapon upgrades in the game, multishot, which is sort of ironic really since that's supposed to be what shotguns are good at. The stat block says its limited to 10. If there IS a hard cap of 10 however I suggest removing it or at least raising it to 30 or something. A shotgun with JUST projectile3 would have 16 pellets compared to the normal 4 it gets. If you put on all 3 it would be as high as 28. Basically this handicap which is limited to only the shotgun and regarding the strongest upgrade in the game in terms of damage severely handicaps it in terms of effectiveness, and would be easy to fix.

Im pretty sure theres other upgrades + weapon combos that suffer from this as well, for instance the short laser with digging3 is still limited to 7 even tho it should be higher.  Speaking of lasers, I also wanted to make a "tractor beam" sort of long laser. I put damage downgrade on it so it wouldnt kill things I was lasering, then I put "push laser" and "pull laser" hoping that it would grab things and hold it in place. Instead it seems only the first took effect, either being a push laser or a pull laser. Honestly I was pretty dashed afterward,  and would have really appreciated more of these effects to combine in interesting ways~ :(

Addendum

After some ocd and persistence I managed to take a good picture of the amount of projectiles. I needed to use multishot along with the projectile lifetime upgrade and shootforce downgrade to get an accurate picture, along with some persistence, but I managed to get this picture that confirms the upper limit is 10 and it isnt just a visual bug.

a4318a72c1.jpg

• Like 1

Yus it does! Only briefly tho. 

5 hours ago, unmog said:

Im pretty sure theres other upgrades + weapon combos that suffer from this as well, for instance the short laser with digging3 is still limited to 7 even tho it should be higher.

There wasn't much more to say about it than that. Pretty easy to miss tho if someone just glanced over it, I guess Ill give it its own line at least.

No problem, but I did remember something about lasers I tried to do but didnt work. See I wanted to make a "tractor beam" sort of long laser, I put damage downgrade on it so it wouldnt kill things I was lasering, then I put "push laser" and "pull laser" hoping that it would grab it and hold it in place. Instead it seems only the first took effect, either being a push laser or a pull laser. Was pretty dashed afterward honestly, would really appreciate more of these effects to combine in interesting ways~ :(

Maybe Ill copy paste this in the first post actually.

Well, there is a difference between holding in place, and fully disabling a unit.  Freeze can't hold a unit suspended, and the tractor beam laser wouldn't be able to disable a unit so it can't act or fire.  But I don't see the usefulness of it, either, except maybe in transporting objects - something it still wouldn't be suited to.

Would be an alternative to magnets, but also being able to move things that arent metalic.

Could also be used to trap enemies maybe, hold them in place for automated turrets to easier lock on to it.

What I was going to use it for was a little drone capable of moving things around. Tractor beams wouldnt really care about mass for instance, unlike magnets.

Would also be cool for perhaps using in the makings of a rail gun. Could maybe use one to move around a magnet to suck up enemies, then detonate dynamite or trigger a heater to destroy them all.

Plus, tractor beams are cool. Why not? :p

Still . . . I just don't think it would make sense.  It doesn't make sense for lasers, it doesn't make sense for the game, it doesn't behave like any reasonable expectation a player should have for a beam weapon.  

True, but that doesn't have much effect on what gamers expect out of a laser. 

I mean, gamers generally expect shotguns to be short range weapons, when they can be more akin to a midrange rifle just by loading a slug instead of shot. 

I'm not talking about individual expectations, but generalized expectations.  An individual's expectations usually aren't useful in trying to court wider demographics. 

My opinion of tractor beams is that magnets are functional as they are, but that if they're needed, I'd like to see them worked into the resource vacuum.