Stray Fawn Community

4-way Directional Sensor

Entity

image.png.3a3874d361a4228d8aab8d386f64f2f2.png

Features:

• 4 outputs (one for each quadrant)
  • Target selector (Gravity, Enemy Core, etc, exactly the same ones as Directional Sensor)
  • Angle slider (0-359 degrees) to control the orientation of the quadrants relative to the sensor, so you can offset it e.g. 45 degrees like this:
    image.png.549cb0ed3c558141347a9b77ff4391e1.png
  • Tolerance slider (0-90 degrees) to control deadzone between each quadrant:
    image.png.703700868dde034512acebcbd75d2840.png

Functionality:

Nearly identical to current Directional Sensor, except it has 4 sensor zones instead of two :)

Why?

It really simplifies making drones that follow the cursor while staying upright.

It also makes it so you do not have to use -two- sensors to cover cases where your drone is facing away from the interested direction when you need to invert behavior based on that, or do something else (this would be rather useful in sumo)

Example:

Right now you have to use 3 regular Directional Sensors to do make a drone that follows the cursor while staying upright (gravity + one for left/right + one for up/down). if you want to also have diagonal movement you need 2 ADDITIONAL sensors to create the cursor detection required for that (not to mention needing to place sensors diagonally which makes building awkward.  why are these things a square anyway)

With the proposed sensor you would only need 2 sensors (one gravity, one 4way cursor), or 3 (one gravity,  two 4way cursor) for 8 directions.

• Thanks 1

3 replies to this post

Micah has mentioned that he'd like to apply conditions to the outputs of sensors.  What that means to me is that instead of having a 'tilted left' and 'tilted right' output, you would be able to configure 'Tilt between 5-85', 'tilt between 95-175', 'tilt between 185-265', and 'tilt between 275-355'.  That would fulfill even your most complex example there at the end.

I may misinterpret his meaning, but I think that would be ideal for nearly any purpose. 

9 minutes ago, Lurkily said:

Micah has mentioned that he'd like to apply condition to the outputs of sensors.  What that means to me is that instead of having a 'tilted left' and 'tilted right' output, you would be able to configure 'Tilt between 5-85', 'tilt between 95-175', 'tilt between 185-265', and 'tilt between 275-355'.  That would fulfill even your most complex example there at the end.

I may misinterpret his meaning, but I think that would be ideal for nearly any purpose. 

If it was implemented like that, yes, it would pretty much implement this sensor in a more flexible manner.

as long as it gets 4+ configurable conditions and also lets you specify negative angles  (like tilt between -40 to +40 for an upward arc)