Stray Fawn Community

Deflective laser upgrade

ManTheMister

17 replies to this post

I don't even mind deflecting everything.

What about just a universal 'point defense' upgrade that lets bullets hit enemy bullets, including lasers, which already have push upgrades? Projectiles should be low mass, so that should work. 

• Like 1

I think you mean the blasters, right? The basic bullet weapon with a trail?  

I was suggesting a PD upgrade as an alternative; a push laser able to hit bullets, presumably very low-mass, could do what you describe, and also be more of a general purpose useful upgrade, rather than a hyper-specific upgrade that looks pretty cool.

2 hours ago, Lurkily said:

I think you mean the blasters, right? The basic bullet weapon with a trail?  

I was suggesting a PD upgrade as an alternative; a push laser able to hit bullets, presumably very low-mass, could do what you describe, and also be more of a general purpose useful upgrade, rather than a hyper-specific upgrade that looks pretty cool.

But I mainly want it to look cool. I’m not against a PD upgrade, but I don’t want it to replace something that looks way cooler.

Well, I'll leave it up to the devs to decide what they think of it.  My part is to give a respectful opinion and upvote or downvote, so they have the resources to do that.  But I never heard of a laser sword that I didn't like.  Just have to make sure it stays in character with the game.

As written, I think the suggestion of deflective lasers is too strong. Put 8 on a motorized joint, and as it spins you would effectively become immune to the corp enemies. Plus, if you slap the two energy reduction upgrades on this too, then you have a energy-free shield that blocks all blasters and never drops out to recover. It just sounds like free permanent immunity to one of the most prevalent enemies. 

If you want my honest opinion, it sounds more like a toy than a tool.  This is one reason I angled for a more generalized point-defense upgrade that might use pushing lasers to achieve this effect; toys and gadgets seeem out-of-character with the game, but the building blocks of toys and gadgets are very much in-character.

I noticed a while back that combining some existing parts with a little creative design resulted in drones impervious to any projectile subject to physics. It took some work to do the first time, but after I got it , it wasn't cosmic. For this reason, I don't see anything game changing here. With enough resource and mechanical limitations, this is functionally the same thing. It's not my cup of tea, but mileage may vary. 

5 hours ago, Garheardt the Black said:

I noticed a while back that combining some existing parts with a little creative design resulted in drones impervious to any projectile subject to physics. It took some work to do the first time, but after I got it , it wasn't cosmic.

That sounds more like a problem to be solved than a design feature justifying new design features.