Stray Fawn Community

Directional Sensor Construction Lines, Other

notsew93

I am trying to do some precision work on a Sumo Bot, and I keep eyeballing where the directional sensor regions are located. I have a use case where I am trying to line up two directional sensors to more granularly chase and track the enemy sumo core. 

To help with alignment, I am currently holding a ruler up to my computer monitor - in that vein, I had an idea to help make this alignment happen in game. If there were toggleable tracing lines that extended from the directional sensor, matching where the three detection regions are currently set, I could better guess if the sensor region falls on one side or the other of a block on the opposite end of my drone. 

It is possible that this could be implemented solely in the graphics, and not as any kind of physical part extension like in the distance sensor. It could even be done when the part itself is selected - when part are selected currently, the construction environment turns the part differing shades of green. For a directional sensor, an additional graphic could be overlaid on the green selection effect, perhaps in the form of transparently extending a faint version of the region wedges to the edge of the screen, or adding a divided filled circle like how the magnet shows it's effective radius when selected.  

As a couple of bonus suggestions, a round version of the directional sensor would be useful for creating regions at an odd angle like I am attempting, a key/tag binding for the tolerance zone would very much cut out a lot of logic gates, and some sort of hotkey (ctrl?) you could hold down when rotating parts so that the part rotates without rotating all it's children would be neat. 

What do we think?

3 replies to this post

1 hour ago, Micha said:

Yeah good idea. Also making the directional sensor round would make alot of sense so you can rotate it in place freely.

I have long been a proponent of a round distance sensor, as well as directional sensor; They both sometimes have occasion to be rotated at odd angles.