Stray Fawn Community

Please help us by writting a Steam review!

Philo

One review coming up.

icon_thumbsUp.png?v=1

Recommended
4.2 hrs last two weeks / 68.8 hrs on record
Posted: Nov 20 @ 7:15am

EARLY ACCESS REVIEW
Nimbatus is a game about making your own drone, and flying it on missions. The basis for it is quite simple. The logistics of construction is where it really shines. There's almost nothing you can't do. 

Would you like to put an explosive TNT block on a detachable mount with sensors, to create an enemy-seeking missile, instead of using actual weapon? Maybe instead of flying, you'd like to make a walker? It will be challenging, but can be done. Would you like to chain together a masive chain of ships into a massive snake-ship, spewing death in all directions? Maybe you'd like to install logic modules, to create a turret that detects and targets enemies for you; or even a drone whose sole purpose is to autonomously eradicate every scrap of mass on the planet. You could even set up factories that deploy swarms of subdrones, or that discard one weapon set to manufacture another, as needed.

If you have the mind of an engineer, I think you'll enjoy this game immensely; and as development progresses, the roadmap looks promising, with racing drone challenges coming soon. (As of 11/20) 

If you take an interest, visit http://www.strayfawnstudio.com/ and check out their community; they have a feature request section that can get your idea in the game, if it's good, and the developers are constantly monitoring it. Their previous game is still getting updates and is still monitored by the devs as well, which I think is a good sign that this game, as well, will not be neglected even after it comes out of early access.

Pros: 
Very involved building system, with the ability to use a network of logic to simply but effectively coordinate complex activity. 

Weapon workshops let you upgrade and adapt weapons, both for more effectiveness, and to adapt them to unique purposes. 

Diverse mission types involve more challenges that require multiple builds, or a very careful and complete single build.

Asynchronous multiplayer arena called 'sumo' in which you craft an autonomous drone to push an opponent designed by a human out of a ring, which shrinks over time.

Asynchronous Racing Arenas coming soon, with Combat Arenas coming soon.

Planets and missions are procedurally generated, providing a wealth of unique worlds.

Weather system on the roadmap for development.

Cons: 

Mission types are limited, and can get repetitive with time.

Only a few very challenging enemies as of yet.

Progression mechanics are intended, but not yet implemented.

Currently, only one arena, sumo, is available.
  • Like 3

Of all things Nimbatus, I believe this one is the most difficult to accomplish. An ordeal of its own: to type a review of a game that is straightforward and clean enough that every attempt I muster up feels sluggish, bland, needlessly complex; when all I really should write up is « What are you waiting for? »

O Great Drone Overlord, I beg of You, grant your puny servant the tiniest module of Your grand equation, that they compute this ordeal!

self.graceWith(power_divineLogic);

• Like 2

I've found the most compelling reviewers to be the ones unafraid to deal with agame as it is, warts and all. 

Thankfully, I think most of the cons here are things that the team seeks to address in development.

7 minutes ago, Philo said:

The super mean thing is: If you don't buy the game on Steam, the review does not count into the score :D
If this was different, we wouldn't have a problem at all xD

Even if we have it on steam, via a key?  If it's not a money purchase it doesn't count?  Huh.

• Like 2

So buying through Humblebundle invalidates part of the review...? I already despise Steam, so I am unsure if I can loathe them to any higher degree. I believe not.

Edit: I hope I did not make it sound like we are too much of a sect... « Did » because this review is final and set in stone until Steam is brought down by anarchists. Which might happen soon if all goes well.

Edited by Ookami-sama
Aaaand sent!
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

Yes, I'm very sorry. Steam only counts your review to the score when you bought the game directly via Steam. That is because they think there's a possibility for misuse of the system and to keep the integrity of the score :/ 

But on the other hand, reviews are still useful even when they don't count towards the score if they have valuable information in them, regardless if they are bought outside of Steam or being received for free.

Are you not able to write a review even though you bought it from humble?

Hmm, this sounds strange, I'm very sorry :( I asked another game-dev friends who sells his game on humble but he never had such a case. Can you try the following link and check if you can (of course only if you want!) write a review this way?

https://store.steampowered.com/recommended/recommendgame/383840

If that doesn't work, can you give us a screenshot of where Steam orders you to pay for the review? Then we can try to see what happened and maybe contact Steam to fix it, because that should definitely not be the case :/ 

Ah, I see. Sorry, you're right. Steam calls these accounts limited/unlimited. Only if you bought games in value >=$5 you become an unlimited account and are able to write reviews (and more). Below that threshold you're considered a "limited account" and are restricted in certain actions. Now I get it, I'm sorry for the confusion.