Stray Fawn Community

I hate to be this way but...

Crossing

AMD athlon 2 processor 3.00 ghz 4gb ram ati radeon HD 4200 no real graphics card I see in this back up. The other is ahttps://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16883227824?ignorebbr=true&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-Mobile&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-Mobile-_-pla-_-Desktop+PC-_-N82E16883227824&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=CjwKCAiAodTfBRBEEiwAa1haupC8qwWGryC-JATKeZ8GljSqiPtkGcvrekfJiKL_7BvKS3btiMMW0hoCKGAQAvD_BwE model with I think 32gb ram  which is crashed till I replace my power supply. Again they are older PC. 

• Like 1

Also I would say a 500 dollar PC would be your target audience to be able to play I understand there is alot on your plate it feels like minecraft being more concerned over bed wars working than its base survival and creative modes. This is more or less a construction game and the construction I feel should be the core of the game

• Like 1

I can't say what is lagging in the editor, but try to switching off this setting to increase performance:

2018-11-22.png.48faa25da8a363cb5a10b97d40371749.png

Checking for overlaps uses some computational power. We turn it off automatically if your drone is over 100 parts big, so it might already be turned off.

How many parts have the drones you are editing/building?

On a four-core 2.2~3.1 GHz CPU and GTX 560M graphics card, the « Edit » screen with a drone of reasonable size (150) demands around 10% CPU power and 560 MB of RAM memory while on standby. I imagine that, while a bit taxing, it should run rather smoothly on both setups you mention unless your hard drive has aged badly (most probable with laptops; way less so with towers), is extremely fragmented, or some other processes are running that require a good amount of resources. A lot of other things exist that can slow down electronics, but I believe these are the most common ones. If none of these apply, then I do not quite know what is causing your game client to stutter.

Also, how do you usually make use of the 32 GB of RAM? I have not yet been in a situation that would require more than 8 of these, and I am a curious wolf.

Edit: ahem Next time I shall sleep a little more before answering: Radeon chipset cards seem renowned for their excellent performances among chipset cards, but they are, still, chipset. It might let you play Legend of Grimrock just fine, but I am unsure about Nimbatus indeed.

• Like 1

The next update will have a performance improvement when working on larger drones. Rotating, moving or changing values or parts will be much faster.

However The undo / redo is still a bit slow with 1000+ parts.

You are both definitely overdoing it.

I can't ever see needing more than 100 undo/redos, though. (Hell, I can't see needing more than 20-30.) Maybe you could improve performance by dropping the earliest actions when they begin to pile up?

The undo stack is limited to 100 changes. It only affects memory usage so increasing the stack wont improve the fps. After each undo / redo the whole drone is recreated from scratch. Thats why it takes time when having alot of parts.

Could you change the undo so that it works by remembering the changes that were made instead of remembering the whole drone? Eg. Rotate this piece 45 degrees. Codewise I assume that it would be easier to say remove this piece and add an identical piece in the same location except rotated 45 degrees.

Yeah I would have to make every action completely reversable.

Which is easy for a simple rotation but gets more complicated when you delete a subgroup of the drone.

The system we have now was just simpler and less time consuming to implement. A more performant system would require some major refactorings.

Lets see how it is with the improved performance now and decide afterwards if it makes sense to invest more time into it :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Crossing said:

One other thing to add would be either an option to turn off auto save or add a way to exit without saving 

I usually duplicate anything I intend to edit before monkeying with it, for exactly this reason.  This, and because there's no confirmation asking if you want to delete a drone.