Stray Fawn Community

Damage state

Mr_MT1111

20 replies to this post

Overall health is a bit tricky as you have many different drone parts. But if you have a clever idea how to show the health on different parts without having 1000 small bars, let me know :D

• Like 1

On 5/8/2018 at 10:23 AM, DerMitDemBrotImMund said:

I think if the drone parts would each show increasing states of breakage, it'd already be easy enough to tell their status.

A little silhouette of the drone with red blinking areas could also give a general indication of where the drone is damaged.

I was going to suggest something of the same thing, having a little drone icon in the map shaped like your ship and little red areas to show damage. However Im not sure how thatd work with mini drones that arent part of your core... I guess it could change to whatever the camera is connected to. Doesnt sound like itd be something easy to do tho

On 5/8/2018 at 10:23 AM, DerMitDemBrotImMund said:

A little silhouette of the drone with red blinking areas could also give a general indication of where the drone is damaged.

This may not be as easy as it seems, though.  I have a drone with factory-built, and factory-discarded banks of tools - weapons, magnet, or harvesting, at the moment.  The parts overlap in the build menu, so a damage display like this would be confusing if it displayed damage from a discarded part.

I'd prefer a graphical change; perhaps a damage graphic that can be overlaid at increasing transparency with damage, cracks and corrosion.  

Many parts already have an indicator on them, such as logic and sensors; but this has been suggested before, and I like the idea.  The problem is, how do we visualize it without interfering with the visibility of other indicators?  Do you have a suggestion?

I got mergey with this one.  I merged it into the thread you linked, Ookami, which is why the link broke, most likely.

Crossing, that idea's been brought up before, the real trick is making it clear on all parts; some parts don't have a lot of real estate that's not already part of an indicator.  Shields, which you pointed out, are almost entirely occupied by the shield's indicator.

Fading in visible damage as HP drops was also my favored solution.

That is only useful when your drone's in one piece; if I have a factory churning parts out, the HP total will keep going up, but damage to my main drone will have less and less impact on my total health percentage.