Stray Fawn Community

My opinion on splitters and connectors in logic behavior has evolved a little. I'd like your opinions and challenges, too.

Lurkily

Both 400 and 4000 are aberrations; the TNT on the low side, the factory's ridiculous HP on the other. 

Every logic piece, connector included is 1000; every 2x2 sensor is 1000, every 1x1 is 500, and every 4x4 sensor is 2000.  Logic and sensors are not particularly fragile.  You just notice it when they break, because everything goes sideways.

Every gun, the regular and jump thrusters, 2x2 power and fuel, and the 1x1 armor block is 1000 HP, by comparison.  All sorts of crucial stuff is 1000 HP.

I am of the opinion that logic will need to go local eventually; this architecture eliminates any ambiguity and weirdness, like connectors blocking signals.

I'll grant you that; any necessary part reduces survivability. You can mitigate it, just as you can mitigate the vulnerability of a battery, by having a backup.  And as it's a factory-built drone, (in most cases it would be, I'd think,) you could always build another.

I think logic should localize, though.  If that does happen, this will not be any weaker than our current wireless connectors.  If it does not happen, and you continue to require splitters to avoid crosstalk, you still need connectors on those drones, and it will be no weaker than they are now, and provide advantages in avoiding crosstalk there, as well.

You can split off a factory that produces the drones to prevent crosstalk already.  A one-way splitter added to the current architecture wouldn't require any connectors at all and would still enable communication.

Also, we can't assume that most folks will be using factories for all of their drones. Just be being active here, we're identifying as a (somewhat obsessive)  minority. 

*I see a lot of benefits to a range of these ideas, but you asked for a devil's advocate, and what devil wouldn't comply? 😁

Edit- mighta miss spoke on the cross talk bit. brb!

Edit 2- yup, have to put the splitter farther down. My mistake

Edit 3- mostly circumvented by using multiple factories though.

You probably caught this already from the sound of your edit; the drones built from the factory would still crosstalk - the splitter has to be a child of the factory so that copies of the drone don't talk to each other.

You're right that sometimes people put their sub-drones on decouplers - more, probably, when progression is implemented, and factories aren't something every newbie can throw around willy-nilly.  I don't think there's much advantage or disadvantage for that scenario, where logic is either wired or wireless.

No worries; you're bringing exactly what I hoped for.  The real gold only shines through when you REALLY try to defeat an idea, and fail, not when you try to support it, and succeed.

• Like 1