Stray Fawn Community

Bed reputation...

Lilytuft

On 11/24/2018 at 5:36 AM, Jojo said:

I wonder who came up with the idea that 666 is a bad number. Why not 777 or 555 or 69?

I actually did some research and the number 666 is associated with Satan, and that idea was first brought up in the New Testament and the Book of Revelation that it was Satan's number. It was later popularized in modern culture as such.

Also no I totally didn't go on Wikipedia

• Like 5

Papyrus 115, the oldest known copy of revelations, notes the number of the beast as 616 - other ancient sources, such as the Codex Ephraemi Rescriptus agree, and some Greek translations noted 616 as a variant.  General wisdom accepts 666 as the correct number, though. 

Irenaeus in the second century wrote a text suggesting that the greek character Xi was mistranscribed into the character Iota early on, which in the numerical system turned a 50 into a 10, and most people knowledgeable about the subject conclude that 666 is probably the correct translation.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Goggles-kun said:

I actually did some research and the number 666 is associated with Satan, and that idea was first brought up in the New Testament and the Book of Revelation that it was Satan's number. It was later popularized in modern culture that it was Satan's number.

Also no I totally didn't go on Wikipedia

15 hours ago, Lurkily said:

Papyrus 115, the oldest known copy of revelations, notes the number of the beast as 616 - other ancient sources, such as the Codex Ephraemi Rescriptus agree, and some Greek translations noted 616 as a variant.  General wisdom accepts 666 as the correct number, though. 

Irenaeus in the second century wrote a text suggesting that the greek character Xi was mistranscribed into the character Iota early on, which in the numerical system turned a 50 into a 10, and most people knowledgeable about the subject conclude that 666 is probably the correct translation.

Thanks guys. Still seems awfully random though ^^