Stray Fawn Community

How do you choose your sumo drone.

EvilTesla

It occurs to me that there are two ways to choose which drone you use in a sumo match.

My preferred way is to have one sumo drone that is designed to be the most successful against the largest number of other sumo drones. I find that a large center-seeker works best here. 

The other option is wait until the game chooses your opponent, then you pick/design a specific drone that is optimized to beat that specific opponent. I don't like this, as it seems too easy to me.

What does everyone else do? Do you have one champion that you prefect to beat all others? Or do you keep a variety of minions optimized to beat specific types of enemies?

I made a large spinning drone that moves with the border of the arena, and called it a day. It took me about an hour at most to make something that is not exactly stable, and the bloody spinner even won a tournament! A balanced game mode, or I was extremely lucky.

I have two powerful sumo drones, and choose between them after the game has chosen the enemy sumo. I have a baseball-bat style spinner, and a quite powerful pusher. (and they are pretty much completely evenly matched. Somehow. The one that starts on the left of the ring when I pit them against each other in training almost always wins.)

• 4 months later...

I have one big fast smart drone which resists many strategies:

• Rushers and Missiles.  They fly straight past.  It's glorious.
  • Bees, My God:  Direction indicators don't fixate on garbage.
  • Pure Muscle:  Unless they turn very very fast, they get caught on the side.
  • Edge Followers:  Tracks the center to avoid being tricked out of bounds.  Sometimes.
  • Center Spinners:  Not much but brute force works, got to be persistent and never get confused.
  • Magnets:  Big drift-thrusters compensate for off-center pushing.

Just typing this out has given me a few more ideas.