Stray Fawn Community

Trying to play Story Mode, stuck in a cycle of failure

PopsicleNinja

1. Go to Summer Mountain and get winter genes

2. Perish in Long Winter from starvation

3. Restart, lose winter genes on Whale Island

4. Go back to Summer Mountain to prepare, repeat cycle until rage quit

In general, I'm finding that there are two different routes to Home Island: Go through various jungle and swamp islands, or go through all the mountain islands. Neither route has proven to be particularly successful for me. I often starve to death in jungles and swamps due to not being able to find food, and I've been starving to death at Long Winter due to a stupid glitch where bunnies don't spawn until after the first snow melts. I guess attempting to go through the mountains is easier because I don't need multiple biomes' of experience to fill out the mutation menu, I just need to be in Summer Mountains for fifty days to get big body and that's it.

• Like 2

my suggestion is to not rush through, really build up a l a r g e food source before progressing to hard islands. once you do, keep your amount of nichelings small. once you have a pair that can breed, stop breeding your current pair. Get through all the hard islands as quickly as possible, go directly to the ports. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheAlbinoNightfury said:

Geeze 0-0 How long did it take to get that much food?

2 hours ago, bostonlobstah said:

Here’s wondering the same thing.

most food I have ever gotten was about 750...

Not as long as you guys would think, you just have to be really efficient by either having a small tribe which collects a lot or a big tribe in a big area like peaceful meadow. Swamp islands are also a great place to collect food (if you have stinky tail) because toxic berry bushes aren't affected by draughts.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Jojo said:

Not as long as you guys would think, you just have to be really efficient by either having a small tribe which collects a lot or a big tribe in a big area like peaceful meadow. Swamp islands are also a great place to collect food (if you have stinky tail) because toxic berry bushes aren't affected by draughts.

I got up to 750+ food with my bird tribe in the archipelago, which was around 45-50 members. I think why I was able to get a decent amount of food was that the low collecting stats with just beak were able to limit all the 🍞that happened bc there was nothing else to do. 

And I love moving just a few creatures to a new island once you stock up a ton of food. :)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bostonlobstah said:

Why don't you like so much food?

Collecting is really boring over time, but then again I can't weave stories by just skipping the day. Even leaving a few creatures be is disruptive. 

So it's small tribes, trying again by adding an off branch with some x<10 for fun, getting upset and leaving the island/deleting the save. In other words, any story themed lines fall to the same food cycle.

So it was speed runs for Story mode, but you can only do that so often. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bostonlobstah said:

Here’s wondering the same thing.

most food I have ever gotten was about 750...

In one of my tribes (with 678 days so far), they have 1436 food. This is probably because I'm always under 18 creatures, since it's my whims of Fate Challemge tribe (My tribe numbers range from 3 to 18). In my Niche Competition Tribe, they have 285 food so far, though at one time they have over 300 (they have 14 creatures right now, and moving towards a Burning Savannah port). I like to be able to destroy berry bushes, so usually I go for claw or Bearyena claw in my tribes and destroy every bush they come across. Sometimes I destroy cacti too :P

• Like 3

15 hours ago, RandomWanderer said:

I intend to never go beyond 1000, but then I'm paranoid and we're back to 2.5 k in story mode. 

Is there such a thing as a Niche-specific hording problem? We should swap styles for a day....

I have a hoarding problem in every game where you can gather stuff ^^

In my longest going tribe (it has over 1000 days and around 70 hours played) I have over 4000 peaces of food. I was impressed myself when I noticed and I didn't even try, it just happened while my tribe was casually hanging out on Deadly Hills eating toxic berries and killer bearyena's ^^

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2018 at 6:12 PM, TheAlbinoNightfury said:

Geeze 0-0 How long did it take to get that much food?

I have more than 2000 food on my 268 day old tribe, I collect food pretty much any chance I get. Food is my main priority :P And I try to get genes that are good for collecting, and my tribe size is normally up to 20 creatures

I was pretty bad at getting food the first time I played. I can remember my creatures starving to death in my first tribe X_X

I like having nichelings with lower collecting ability because you spend all your turns picking from immortal berry bushes instead of picking once, and then having more pointless children because there’s nothing else to do 😛

I think that’s what it is anyway. My birds tribe has a lot of beaks and nothing else collecting wise.

• Like 3

It's p normal for me to have food in the thousands because i usually have large tribes n i tell all the nichelings to collect food.
The jungle biomes were hard for me because i didn't want to collect the food from the nice plants and turn them into mean plants, my food dipped like 800 but that's ok. It got back up on the next island.

Recently, I got to the home island by going to whale island.
Told the whale to take me to the crossing, and then went north from there.

• Like 1