Stray Fawn Community

different pupil shapes

The_Espurr_Queen

From what I saw in the promotional material for this game, I noticed one picture showcased nichelings with different pupil types (I've included the picture in this post for reference) . I was thinking that it would be a nice addition if nichelings could mutate different pupil types. It could either be purely aesthetic, like the nicheling's eye color, or the pupils could have some survival advantages.

For example, the slit pupil gene could make sight better in darker biomes, like the swamp, Cephalopod eyes would increase sight underwater, etc. 5ae498b4d1579_Animaleyes.thumb.png.3ca0547c06d7c22d987bd13dd95a7cad.png5ae4981f09e16_Nichlingeyes2.thumb.png.2ffdb95beeeded6bddff49951be327d8.png

• Like 14

18 replies to this post

I'm pretty sure I read something about this somewhere, but I really like the idea of having different types of pupils. Some possible pupils would be rectangular pupils, slit pupils and wavy pupils

Rectangular pupils are a commom feature on hoofstock such as goats, antelope and horses. They allow the animal to see almost entirely around them, which would be useful in open habitats. This would add an extra point to sight when in the grassland, savannah and mountain biomes

Slit pupils are characteristic of cats, and can also be seen on other small predators like foxes. Nobody is sure exactly what advantages slit shaped pupils give, but because they are most common in nocturnal and crepuscular carnivorans, they probably work best in darker environments. These pupils would add an extra point to sight in the jungle and swamp biomes

The w-shaped pupil of a cuttlefish is thought to balance unevenly distributed light underwater, letting the animal see what's going on around it clearly. This pupil shape would allow clear vision underwater, adding an extra few points to vision in the water biome. It might not work quite so well on land though

The usual round pupil would also be an option and would provide decent sight in all land biomes, but wouldn't add any extra points. They wouldn't work too well underwater, neither would the rectangular pupils or slit pupils, and would perhaps only work as well in water as shortsighted eyes do on land

In terms of genetics, this would add a new gene slot with 4 alleles , one for each pupil shape. The dominance would be round pupils > rectangular pupils > slit pupils > wavy pupils

Here are some pictures of these pupil shapes in real life. The first image shows a goat with rectangular pupils on the left and a cat with slit pupils on the right. The second shows a cuttlefish with its w-shaped pupil

pupila-cabra-horizontal-gato-vertical.jpg

Cuttlefishhead-1.jpg

11 hours ago, Pokestardragacraft said:

Well, I believe a mod merged BirdsAreCool’s suggestion with this suggestion which caused the votes to reset.

Yea... I was sure that I upvoted this and I was so confused when I saw it had like... 8 votes... I remember at least 50 or something

On 11/29/2018 at 7:56 PM, BirdsAreCool said:

I'm pretty sure I read something about this somewhere, but I really like the idea of having different types of pupils. Some possible pupils would be rectangular pupils, slit pupils and wavy pupils

Rectangular pupils are a commom feature on hoofstock such as goats, antelope and horses. They allow the animal to see almost entirely around them, which would be useful in open habitats. This would add an extra point to sight when in the grassland, savannah and mountain biomes

Slit pupils are characteristic of cats, and can also be seen on other small predators like foxes. Nobody is sure exactly what advantages slit shaped pupils give, but because they are most common in nocturnal and crepuscular carnivorans, they probably work best in darker environments. These pupils would add an extra point to sight in the jungle and swamp biomes

The w-shaped pupil of a cuttlefish is thought to balance unevenly distributed light underwater, letting the animal see what's going on around it clearly. This pupil shape would allow clear vision underwater, adding an extra few points to vision in the water biome. It might not work quite so well on land though

The usual round pupil would also be an option and would provide decent sight in all land biomes, but wouldn't add any extra points. They wouldn't work too well underwater, neither would the rectangular pupils or slit pupils, and would perhaps only work as well in water as shortsighted eyes do on land

In terms of genetics, this would add a new gene slot with 4 alleles , one for each pupil shape. The dominance would be round pupils > rectangular pupils > slit pupils > wavy pupils

Here are some pictures of these pupil shapes in real life. The first image shows a goat with rectangular pupils on the left and a cat with slit pupils on the right. The second shows a cuttlefish with its w-shaped pupil

pupila-cabra-horizontal-gato-vertical.jpg

Cuttlefishhead-1.jpg

this should be added to the post @The_Espurr_Queen