Stray Fawn Community

Mini Drone Rack

Killerco1

I have a suggestion have a block or weapon of some kind where it holds a certain amount of drones like a drone rack that can hold 4 mini drones that can be modified where it can carry a weapon or a shield or something small and can be rebuilt pretty fast it would either follow the cursor or have a button on the build section or something where when pressed it allows the mini drones when spawned to guard a certain part of the ship and will go a certain distance away when it detects an enemy which could be upgraded allowing further sight which allows further targeting and have upgrades for better accuracy and so on and in later upgrade tree's allowing multiple weapons like a rocket and shield but the shield wont be massive it will be a mini shield that can block a few shots before needing recharging which could be upgraded for more hp but longer recharge times to balance it allowing more diverse builds and maybe a patrol feature where you place a few way points like when selecting a area to defend they will follow the way points at the drones speed or a faster speed for faster crafts so it can keep up and maybe if they get to far they explode and you need new ones or something just an interesting idea that some people might like who knows.

hmm and maybe when if created by a factory with an anchor or something it will drop to the terrain like a turret and spawn the drones and they will defend that Drone Rack

11 replies to this post

34 minutes ago, Lurkily said:

Why not build your own deployables on a factory, with your own design? 

But then you'd need fuel weapons batteries logistic parts and it will only stay in one place so then you'd need more logistics making it a drone and not a mini drone this makes it simple and easy to replace and just adds more options for weapons and drone designs.

Design is part of where they're trying to build the fun. Autonomous combat drones are quite possible, (though complex, as they should be,) so I'm not sure why we'd want to resort to prefab drones. 

I'd be perfectly happy with options to make smaller non-prefab subdrones and missiles, though. 

1 minute ago, Lurkily said:

Design is part of where they're trying to build the fun. Autonomous combat drones are quite possible, (though complex, as they should be,) so I'm not sure why we'd want to resort to prefab drones. 

I'd be perfectly happy with options to make smaller non-prefab subdrones and missiles, though. 

True but the craft gets very large and for smaller pc's its more impossible to have more than one drone on the screen this just saves space and time and ins't op its just a small drone with 1 weapon 2 hovers or thrusters on the sides and that's it for smaller builds

Yes, but prefab construction undermines the core design tenets that seem to be in play - provide very simple tools to enable very powerful and complex behavior.  This is just a freebie toy handed out that you can't design, can't repurpose, can't program or make smarter, and that won't be rewarding to successfully design. 

3 minutes ago, Lurkily said:

Yes, but prefab construction undermine the core design tenets that seem to be in play - provide very simple tools to enable very powerful and complex behavior.  This is just a freebie toy handed out that you can't design, can't repurpose, can't program or make smarter, and that won't be rewarding to successfully design. 

Fine i give up, You seem determined to find a way for it not to work and with core design there's really no way to argue with that : /

Like I said, I'm perfectly open for ways to let us engineer more compact subdrones, and I'm not a dev, so don't take my word as any kind of authority. 

I'm just not a fan of complex and intelligent prefabs.  The game is about engineering, largely, and prefabs take some of that ability away, and by extension take away part of the reward we can provide the player for succeeding. 

We have the tools for complex and intelligent drones. If we need complex and intelligent minidrones, let's make tools suitable to building those, too.