Stray Fawn Community

Bicolor pattern β€‹β€‹πŸ―

Lilytuft

I've made a couple of suggestions in the past. One of them was really dumb. One part of it was actually something I want to have in Niche. A second pattern slot for white underbelly.

This gene would have multiple variations, the most common being "no bicolor" or something like that. Maybe additionally a size modifier gene?

You could get different variations of it from wanderers and you would unlock the mutations for those as you invite them in.

The white underbelly would cover their normal pattern, creating some interesting fur desings.

image.png.61350d2c5662b05b8c093d5bc8a2d89b.png Adam's tribe member with type 2 bicolor

image.png.12ab89c220fcaefc3beaac0be9baf5cb.pngWho wouldn't invite her into their tribe?

image.png.0cfda294e33195e6b6b633cbe9cadc3d.pngThis beaky boy has cookies on his fur! How cute!

image.png.75dce5a8e26038f1ff4f0ae26f0e85b6.pngBicolor mixed with wihite fur or white pattern could create some interesting patterns. (This nicheling has raccoon pattern)

image.png.5f39e27a4af9e0122c03b4b945d523ba.pngI could finally have the tabby spots of my dreams!

image.png.e7cce7a7ad533992198d2dffe8a501f1.pngYes, crackerjaw nichelings with amber eyes do stare at you creepily. Bu there is a nice van coloring.

Speaking of van, I wonder if poor Vanvan in a catcus inpired the Niche team to make the heatbody...

• Like 11
  • Love 1

24 replies to this post

11 hours ago, BirdsAreCool said:

I'm not really sure about this gene. Yes, white spotting might look cool, but what evolutionary purpose would it serve? Most of these patterns would just make your nicheling look conspicuous and more likely to be targeted by predators. Niche isΒ about adapting your nichelings to survive, notΒ making them look pretty

I will say that evolution is completely random, and is more like 'does this work' than 'this works'. There are plenty of things in real life that serve no evolutionary purpose, and plenty of things that are just there to look nice towards other members of their species.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BirdsAreCool said:

I understand that some people would rather make their nichelings look pretty and roleplay,Β but niche is a survival game. If new things are going to be added to the game, it should be things that actually add to gameplay, not things that can be used to make a nicheling that looks like such and such from warrior cats

I don't have anything against adding piebaldism to the game (I actually made a suggestion to add it) but I don't think it should be added purely as a cosmetic trait. I also don't think it should be based off of cats, who are domestic and have been bread to look how we want them to. If it were going to be addedΒ it should be based off of wild animals with piebaldism. Niche is about breading wild animals so theyΒ can survive and not domestic animals so they look nice, after all

Again totally get your point but I totally wouldn't mind. I wouldn't mind if they were added in like you suggested either :)

I'm not really sure about this gene. Yes, white spotting might look cool, but what evolutionary purpose would it serve? Most of these patterns would just make your nicheling look conspicuous and more likely to be targeted by predators. Niche isΒ about adapting your nichelings to survive, notΒ making them look pretty

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BirdsAreCool said:

Well the mask pattern isn't helpful either :D but gorgeous!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jojo said:

Well the mask pattern isn't helpful either :D but gorgeous!

The mask pattern in the game doesn't have any negative effects. InΒ real life it isΒ used as a form of camouflage known as a disruptive eye mask. It obscures the eye, which is an easy target for predators or rivals, making it less vulnerable if attacked

204px-2014.07.17.-28-Zadlitzgraben_Pressel--Grasfrosch-Weibchen.jpg

138px-Sitta_europaea_wildlife_2_1.jpg

270px-Oryx_gazella_-_Etosha_2014.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BirdsAreCool said:

The mask pattern in the game doesn't have any negative effects. InΒ real life it isΒ used as a form of camouflage known as a disruptive eye mask. It obscures the eye, which is an easy target for predators or rivals, making it less vulnerable if attacked

204px-2014.07.17.-28-Zadlitzgraben_Pressel--Grasfrosch-Weibchen.jpg

138px-Sitta_europaea_wildlife_2_1.jpg

270px-Oryx_gazella_-_Etosha_2014.jpg

But we are talking about in game andΒ  a white mask makes your Nicheling just about as consipcuous as white spots.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jojo said:

But we are talking about in game andΒ  a white mask makes your Nicheling just about as consipcuous as white spots.

Not necessarily. Many animals have small amounts of white on their face. On the other hand, very few animals have large white markings like this, and those that do areΒ able to defend themselves well enough that they don't have to worry about predation. Nichelings are prey to large animals like bearyenas, and although there are some defensive traits you can give them, none of them (as far as I'm aware) significantly discourage predators

Not only do the white markings make the animal (orΒ nicheling) more noticeable to predators, they are also more often than notΒ associated with high chances ofΒ hearing impairment or deafness, which would cause even bigger problems for the creature than a lack of camouflage

Also, considering the game is based onΒ real life...Β ;)

5711529870_fa4cb8d2ee_b.jpg

R_AWF_3.jpg

oryx-oryx-in-awash-national.jpg

american_badger_home.jpg

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Leaellynasaura said:

I will say that evolution is completely random, and is more like 'does this work' than 'this works'. There are plenty of things in real life that serve no evolutionary purpose, and plenty of things that are just there to look nice towards other members of their species.

Technically 'things that are just there to look nice towards other members of their species' do have an evolutionary purpose - to look nice towards other members of their species. And although there may be many traits in an animal that don't seem to have any benefits, they also don't hinder the species

Piebaldism is very common, and possible in all animals. There's a reason no animal isΒ naturally piebald. Not only does it make the animal more noticeable to predators, it also commonly results in hearing impairment or deafness. Even if the animal doesn't have hearing problems, it is still more likely to fall prey to predators than other members of its species. This of course reduces itsΒ lifespan by quite a bit, which in turn reduces its chance of reproducing. Any of the babies it does have that inherit the piebald traitΒ face the same problems as their parents, as would their children and grandchildren and so on. This eventually results in the mutation dying out

In short, piebaldism causesΒ nothing but problems for an animal, and wouldn't just be a cosmetic trait there to make the animal look pretty

15 hours ago, BirdsAreCool said:

Not necessarily. Many animals have small amounts of white on their face. On the other hand, very few animals have large white markings like this, and those that do areΒ able to defend themselves well enough that they don't have to worry about predation. Nichelings are prey to large animals like bearyenas, and although there are some defensive traits you can give them, none of them (as far as I'm aware) significantly discourage predators

Not only do the white markings make the animal (orΒ nicheling) more noticeable to predators, they are also more often than notΒ associated with high chances ofΒ hearing impairment or deafness, which would cause even bigger problems for the creature than a lack of camouflage

Also, considering the game is based onΒ real life...Β ;)

5711529870_fa4cb8d2ee_b.jpg

R_AWF_3.jpg

oryx-oryx-in-awash-national.jpg

american_badger_home.jpg

I get where you are coming from but I don't think it is a necessary argument against implementing it especially as many people are roleplaying Niche and or are breeding for cosmetics and not survival( anymore). Also if we are considering that we are getting a sandbox/ creative mode cosmetics are just the thing for it :D

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jojo said:

I get where you are coming from but I don't think it is a necessary argument against implementing it especially as many people are roleplaying Niche and or are breeding for cosmetics and not survival( anymore). Also if we are considering that we are getting a sandbox/ creative mode cosmetics are just the thing for it :D

I understand that some people would rather make their nichelings look pretty and roleplay,Β but niche is a survival game. If new things are going to be added to the game, it should be things that actually add to gameplay, not things that can be used to make a nicheling that looks like such and such from warrior cats

I don't have anything against adding piebaldism to the game (I actually made a suggestion to add it) but I don't think it should be added purely as a cosmetic trait. I also don't think it should be based off of cats, who are domestic and have been bread to look how we want them to. If it were going to be addedΒ it should be based off of wild animals with piebaldism. Niche is about breeding wild animals so theyΒ can survive and not domestic animals so they look nice, after all

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Basil said:

The absolute most precious damn thing I've ever seen give it to me

Okay. She is yours now. Do what ever you want with her.

Β 

Β 

Β 

XD

• Like 1

@BirdsAreCool let me tell you a secret. I didn't make this post to get full on van patterns or white nichelings with colored spots. The real reason I made it is that I've always wanted nichelings with light unders. Now that we have the sandbox editor, this is the number one thing I want in niche. That's why I always draw nichelings on my suggestions like this:

kuva.png.e12012badcd16400a6c96257d4429f22.png1832814822_manes1.png.91c01d4cbaac47ce97093efb9eef3168.pngimage.png.e9021a247ea2cc8657b459735b23d891.png5af9abdd488c9_Manetypes.png.acc883c65323a5115ffc4586b206ab44.png

I even had it in my pattern shape E idea723657228_Patternideas1.thumb.png.b8b981f65d47ca24056ea899ba9653c7.png

I should probably talk about this more often. I just really like animals with light unders...

Sorry if I came off as passive agressive. That wasn't the intention of this post. I just feel like I didn't explain this correctly in my original suggestion and that it came off as someting different than what I actually want.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, The guiding spirit said:

@BirdsAreCool let me tell you a secret. I didn't make this post to get full on van patterns or white nichelings with colored spots. The real reason I made it is that I've always wanted nichelings with light unders. Now that we have the sandbox editor, this is the number one thing I want in niche. That's why I always draw nichelings on my suggestions like this:

Β 

I even had it in my pattern shape E idea

I should probably talk about this more often. I just really like animals with light unders...

Sorry if I came off as passive agressive. That wasn't the intention of this post. I just feel like I didn't explain this correctly in my original suggestion and that it came off as someting different than what I actually want.

Also this one

377622187_Loyallonerlovers.png.c82c8eb528d87fb3a5dcaf14e5d98bdc.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, BirdsAreCool said:

@The guiding spiritidk if you've seen this before, it was on the front page recently, but it might be kind of relevant? if not then you should make a suggestion for thatΒ :)

Β 

I've upvoted that before. I remember I was excited when I first saw it. It needs more upvotes