Stray Fawn Community

Better short snout

I think the short snout should have its own ability because all of the other snouts have them. Here are some ideas:

Idea 1

+2 smelling

+1 attractiveness (since now it is very rare)

Idea 2

+2 smelling

+ 1 collecting 

I think it should stay the way it is. I don’t imagine it being more attractive than say big nose just because it’s rarer. And it’s not going to be as good a collector as bird beak. The point of short snout is to be a ‘default,’ so it’s not supposed to be super desirable anyways.

I do think that short snout should be a bit less rare than it is currently, however. Being ‘default’ and one of the most dominant, it shouldn’t be so rare.

• Like 3

On 2 de diciembre de 2018 at 3:12 PM, bostonlobstah said:

I think it should stay the way it is. I don’t imagine it being more attractive than say big nose just because it’s rarer. And it’s not going to be as good a collector as bird beak. The point of short snout is to be a ‘default,’ so it’s not supposed to be super desirable anyways.

I do think that short snout should be a bit less rare than it is currently, however. Being ‘default’ and one of the most dominant, it shouldn’t be so rare.

Short Snout is default

image.thumb.jpeg.7fef1594b77655f1934f32ca752e62e1.jpeg

On 2 de diciembre de 2018 at 3:12 PM, bostonlobstah said:

But bird beak can also dig while short snout cant, so bird beak is better at gathering food.

1 hour ago, A Nicheling said:

But bird beak can also dig while short snout cant, so bird beak is better at gathering food.

I understand that. But I don't consider it about all stats combined, but for berry picking alone. 

Beak has +1 collecting. Beak is always going to be better than a short snout at collecting. Therefore, Short Snout gets 0 collecting. 

• Like 1

I don't know. It would seem that the short snout might be the worst at collecting without paws. Maybe you can settle for more hidden attributes, like an alluring voice when calling. Maybe even some neoteny thing, unattractive for longer to rogue males as they mature slowly and don't smell right. Just small boosts that are useful at times.

• Like 2

Short snout doesn't appear as often among wanderers, but you start with it unlocked, and once it's in your gene pool it spreads like wildfire. I don't really think too much should change given the above reasons. Also in anatomy not every body part technically needs a function. Some are leftover relics from previous times on the evolutionary tree. Considering how long its been in the game that could be the case here. Though if purpose is something in question here, why are we not looking into the derp snout as well? It doesn't affect anything and is purely cosmetic as far as I'm aware. Not that I want it gone either; it's charming in its own unique way.  If we must adjust the stats of short snout, however then maybe make it more attractive or give it a better advantage in terms of calling out for wanderers.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, RandomWanderer said:

I've personally found the distasteful appearance useful at times, at others it's annoying when a predator doesn't target the least welcome tribemember. Supposedly, the derpsnout was originally meant to later earn a spitting ability, but they focused on other stuff. Maybe we'll get a spitting derpsnout at one point.

Ah, so it does do something. I guess that negates some of my reasoning then. I just picked Niche back up several days ago, and I forgot what some of the genes do (ha ha.) I remember they were talking about it, and even when it was called Spit Snout as well. There was talk of reducing the hearing and sight attributes sometime ago as well, but I don't quite recall if that was among the devs or the fans.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...
On 10/8/2021 at 4:41 PM, A Nicheling said:

Shhhh, they are secretly short snouts. All the nichelings on niche are. XD

well Rala also kinda like pretty much absolutely has short snout but she doesn't care

so does Babne