Stray Fawn Community

Best food collecting strategies on hard islands?

What are your best stategies for collecting food effectively (in a way that leads to hoarding instead of just hanging on from starvation) on harder islands, like Oasis, Long Winter, Sleepy Reeds, Deep Jungle & the others, if staying there for travel preparation or for good?

Mine works quite well for Sleepy Reeds while I'm staying with my first Niche tribe until they are ready to cross to what I believe will be jungle gate - Still, while I crossed Overgrown jungle to get here I only went through my foodstores, without contributing much, if I was to cross into deep jungle next, things might get tough if I don't have reserves.

First, I divided my tribe in two by genotype:

454514822_BearyenaclawedNichelingmodel.png.225330e209f736a57aa3eb56383317a4.png158388617_WingedNichelingmodel.png.dcf75b874097bbc5197b5cbe65e9d58c.png

Beak seems perfect for travelling kind of tribes, since it can both dig and collect, even if not as effectively, and it is clear from the lean body and big ears that obviously, they came to the current island through a streak of hot climate islands. But I love the mobility and look of those genotypes, so they stay until I'll be forced to shove them into cold climate on my way to home island.

I always keep more of winged type, now that I'm in the swamp - due to their ability to sit on trees - and the hammer tail is most important for this branch, as they cannot have nimble fingers - so it helps them with cracking. Now the key is to have them, aside of the breeding pair, tucked on every palm tree and sometimes swamp trees when it's raining.

1782807512_SleepyReeds.thumb.png.603a2b2cdceb17a5a4dda99133453b4e.png

(Also, are the twin-birth rates genetic in Niche? I swear those two nests of twins were filled one after the other! The mother and the father also were from twin births!)

Then each turn, they can crack coconuts from right under those palms, or shake them if needed. that gives 4 to 6 food a day from each palm sitter. if it rains, any creatures that out-number the palms in the area go to collect snails from swamp trees.

Meanwhile the bearyena clawed creatures explore, kill rogues, destroy toxic berry bushes they find, even fish if it is convenient. - so they too provide, though not always they succed at being as effective gatherers - they are more of a guard of the tribe.

601177059_Obnoxiouslymuchfood.png.58fe13cff0c59b07061ed8f9ac6fac39.png

In the end my tribe ended up with ridiculously much food. 

Please also share your strategies if you have some extremely effecient ones!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AdamantineChains said:

(Also, are the twin-birth rates genetic in Niche? I swear those two nests of twins were filled one after the other! The mother and the father also were from twin births!)

If both parents have 6 fertility, twins are very common.

• Like 2

A strategy I learned in home island is to have two adult nichelings per each stagmole hole.

The first one uses it's turns like this:

1. Move next to the hole
  2. Kill the mole
  3. Move away from the hole

The second one does this:

1. Move next to/on the hole
  2. collect the meat

The important thing is to have no one next to the hole over night so a new stagmole will spawn!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, bostonlobstah said:

Any tips for the mountain biome? I'm tryna get big body and fluffy tail on my creatures before traveling to First Snow, but I wanna be prepared and have a good strategy

Have all your creatures at at least two strenght. If you have wings, try to get bearyena hind legs. First snow is pretty easy. Take a few berry collectors with you, but most importantly, have cracking ability! Nuts are the key on first snow!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lilytuft said:

A strategy I learned in home island is to have two adult nichelings per each stagmole hole.

The first one uses it's turns like this:

1. Move next to the hole
  2. Kill the mole

The second one does this:

1. Move next to/on the hole
  2. collect the meat

The important thing is to have no one next to the hole over night so a new stagmole will spawn!

i do this too!!

• Like 1

My ideal collectors for sleepy reeds or whatever the hard swamp island is called were:

Toxic body, bearyena hind legs, horns, stinky tail, sabre fangs, mega horns, double runners leg and big ears. That way you can collect the toxic berries, kill bearyenas and run decently fast. 

On Long winter I'd recommend sabre fangs, mega horns, heat body and hammer tail, I haven't deciced on the other genes yet though. Strength and speed are both very important on the snow islands to catch bunnies and a little bit of poison is always good for the walrus deer and balance bears so the ocassional Nicheling with poison fangs is a big help.

Deadly Hills is one of my personal favourites the only thing you really need are poison fangs (can be exchanged for toxic body or scorpion tail) and enough strength to take down the killer bearyena's otherwhise you have a really wide variety of genes you can use :D (I settled on poison fangs, bearyena claw on at least one paw, hammer tail, mega horns, normal hind legs.)

Oasis is also lovely: double claw, tail fin, water body, cracker jaw (optional, I never find enough shells to actually need the cracker jaw), webbed hind legs, big ears,

Jungle: Armored or lean body, black fur, spots or stripes, big ears, big nose, stinky tail, mega horns, a little bit of strength and collecting so either bearyena hind legs or bearyena claw and nimble fingers :)

Home island you just need something to crack nuts with

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AdamantineChains said:

@RandomWanderer It's not like I don't like them, just never got around to breeding them into the winged line... I still didn't get those unlocked :')

Same...I've had my birb tribe for quite a while...no bearyena genes yet :(

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/2/2018 at 3:01 PM, bostonlobstah said:

Any tips for the mountain biome? I'm tryna get big body and fluffy tail on my creatures before traveling to First Snow, but I wanna be prepared and have a good strategy

Double claws/bearyena claws, ram horns or antlers, bird beak (if you want to dig) or spit snout for distasteful appearance. If you find digging trunk you can use that to replace beak. Keep tribe size very low. 3-7 nicheling is the range. Onle breed creatures when they start getting old so that you can keep the tribe low.

This method has helped me survive for 207 days (so far) and i have slightly under 300 food.