Stray Fawn Community

realistic sex-linked gene inheritance

kakapo123

Whilst playing the game I've noticed a problem with the sex-linked blood clotting gene. The gene has a locus on the sex chromosome which is equivalent to the X chromosome in humans. Female nichelings have two of these chromosomes, while males only have one

Realistically, the male would inherit his X chromosome (I'm just gonna call it that for simplicity) from his mother, and his Y chromosome from his father. This means that any X-linked genes would be inherited from his mother only, yet in the game I will often notice a female homozygous for normal blood clotting give birth to a male with the hemophilia allele and vice versa. Females with two normal blood clotting alleles should only be able to produce males with normal blood clotting, and likewise females with two alleles for hemophilia should only be able to produce males with hemophilia, regardless of the father's allele

This is only a small thing that bugs me, but I would personally like to see it fixed

More changes to existing genes:

Edited by BirdsAreCool
added some links to similar suggestions
  • Like 6

10 replies to this post

Oh yeah right, now that you mention it. The x one is bigger and can carry more genes, so the one from the mother always passes on what ever it has. It would be nice to have that fixed! Didn't even notice it until now. You are absolutely right :D

• Like 1

Upvoted. There are a lot of animals today that have a lot of other gender-related genetics, for example the X gene in cats are the genes that carry the fur colouring. Perhaps this could be implemented somehow? And if the baby is female they would inherit colouring from both their parents. Would this also affect the amount of  female and male nichlings born?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheAlbinoNightfury said:

Upvoted. There are a lot of animals today that have a lot of other gender-related genetics, for example the X gene in cats are the genes that carry the fur colouring. Perhaps this could be implemented somehow? And if the baby is female they would inherit colouring from both their parents. Would this also affect the amount of  female and male nichlings born?

Nope, it would have no effect whatsoever on the male;female ratio of offspring. There is always a 50/50 chance on the sex of the baby, as the male (or female in some animals) has equal amounts of sperm carrying the X chromosome and sperm carrying the Y chromosome

The genetics behind cat colouration is far more complicated than just 1 colour gene. The mutation of the gene on the X chromosome simply determines if the cat is able to produce eumelanin (black pigment) or not

Replacing the current autosomal colour genetics with a new sex-linked system seems a huge waste of time as it would add nothing to the game at all, and would take an aweful lot of work 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, BirdsAreCool said:

gender-related genetics, for example the X gene in cats are the genes that carry the fur colouring

9 hours ago, BirdsAreCool said:

The genetics behind cat colouration is far more complicated than just 1 colour gene. The mutation of the gene on the X chromosome simply determines if the cat is able to produce eumelanin (black pigment) or not

I'm not a Niche player, but I will say that some cat colorations are absolutely linked to gender.  For instance, calico coloring is a gene on the X chromosome.  It is, as you say, more complicated than that, but at the end of the day, almost every calico is female unless they have a genetic anomaly in which they have three chromosomes. (XXY)

• Like 2

On 12/27/2018 at 1:07 PM, Lurkily said:

I'm not a Niche player, but I will say that some cat colorations are absolutely linked to gender.  For instance, calico coloring is a gene on the X chromosome.  It is, as you say, more complicated than that, but at the end of the day, almost every calico is female unless they have a genetic anomaly in which they have three chromosomes. (XXY)

Lol that's what I was saying. Cat colouration is determined by a number of genes, and yes, one of them is sex-linked. There is a mutation of an as of yet unidentified gene located on the X chromosome that messes with the production of eumelanin (black pigment). This causes the cat to produce pheomelanin (red pigment) only and causes the red or "ginger" fur colour. It also causes tortoiseshell (and calico if your American) colouration, which isn't a gene but rather a result of a cat with one wild type allele (o) and one mutated allele (O)

Because it has a locus on the X chromosome, females are almost always the ones who are tortoiseshell. It is usually chimerism that causes tortie males, many people seem to be under the impression that most tortie males have an extra X chromosome 

Asides from this one sex-linked trait, cat colouration is determined by autosomal genes. I do know what I am talking about ;)

My apologies.  When you said 'nope', I thought you were trying to contradict the claim.  You went on to talk about the commonality of male or female children, but I had missed the question by Albino, so I was a bit confused.

Yes, Klinefelter's syndrome refers to the anomaly I mentioned, though we're digressing a bit.  And yes, calico is a variant of tortoiseshell.

• Like 2

On 12/27/2018 at 4:38 PM, Lilytuft said:

a calico is a tortoiseshell with white

Calico is an American term. In British English (proper English :P) a tortoiseshell is a tortoiseshell, whether they have white spotting or not. We might call them tortie and white, but we don't have a seperate name for them

On 12/27/2018 at 5:20 PM, Lurkily said:

My apologies.  When you said 'nope', I thought you were trying to contradict the claim.  You went on to talk about the commonality of male or female children, but I had missed the question by Albino, so I was a bit confused.

Yes, Klinefelter's syndrome refers to the anomaly I mentioned, though we're digressing a bit.  And yes, calico is a variant of tortoiseshell.

No harm done, though I'm not quite sure how I was "digressing" by talking about sex-linkage in tortoiseshells, was that not what you were talking about?

• Like 1

All I meant to say is that we were talking about the same thing; and by digressing, I meant that the exact specifics of what it's named and which pigmentations of cats are specific to which gender and which colorations are mutations of other colorations aren't really relevant to the gameplay mechanics that are being sought(EDIT: Specifically, whether they're realistic).  We're just getting further into the weeds having to clarify all this, so I'm going to withdraw.

• Like 1