Stray Fawn Community

Customization

CometShine

nimbatus.thumb.png.0f507c5dc64d201180c1989651412b91.pngImplement a feature to add outside hull shapes similar to how the nimbatus ship looks as well as the ability to color parts and lights. Can make it a separate layer from the functional pieces and would be purely for aesthetic. I've drawn my drone with a single layer of shapes on top and customized the colors of various objects as an example (also it was a lot of fun to draw)

EDIT: added some images of different solutions of playing the game while with cosmetics. You could have an option to toggle opacity if you would like to see what is underneath your drone while playing by pressing a key (such as an fn key) and the opacity will lower unless you press it again to bring it back up to 100%. I've tested 50% and 30% opacity here. Another solution is to add indicators to the outside layer as shown on the far right which would show the overall drone's power, fuel, factory, and resource levels. 

ship.thumb.png.fd9994de262de092f7e59089e75ed336.png

• Like 3

I think logically, they would have to be the first step, even before customised parts.  When it comes time to assign damage, you would want to apply AoE to shields, then to any armor-layer parts, (skipping anything covered by a shield,) and lastly to parts. (Skipping anything covered by a shield OR armor.)  You could also apply damage bottom-up, if you want to avoid damage being able to break a shield AND damage parts beneath on a single shot, but I don't think it's a terribly important distinction.

In terms of what we present to a player, or in terms of the UI, I don't think anything needs to be done.  Just tell them this particular shield type can block AoE damage, and I think that's the end of the workday. 

My only shield concern is that the shield part's indicator be visible through customized parts.  I'm not sure I like the idea of having to redesign parts and layouts just so you have visibility of your own ship's parts and indicators. I don't think combat-critical indicators should be hidden.  Anything not needed for combat, you can wait for a quiet moment, and toggle visibility of that layer.