Stray Fawn Community

How Do You Survive In Winter?

Renio2490

Dig dig and dig

If you're starting in snow, you want to keep reloading until you start with a digging paw. The ice blocks will often have helpful genetics as well

If you're in story mode, aim for claws and digging paws before you get there (also if I'm remembering correctly, first snow has a fair amount of poisonous berry bushes, so poison immunity will help)

For the most part, as heyitsgeorgie said, ignore walrus deer, but check every so often if one swings past if it's close to death, cos you can swoop in and swipe up the meat. Also Balance Bears have plus 2 for defence, so you need to have more than plus 2 strength if you want to take them down

• Like 1

For first snow I'd recommend if starting out there (of course go for the iceblocks) and look for berry bushes. They lure bunnies and can feed you. If you get lucky enough to have a poison resistant wanderer that is even better as you can then feed from the toxic berry bushes. Also hunt the bunnies. Walrus Deer are usually to bothersome and at the beginning you will most likely not have the strength to fight the balance bears. If a balance bear approaches lead it down to the ocean and leave as quick as possible. That usually works for me.

Ramfoxes are a great source of food as well as coconuts if you know how to pluck them up without getting nocked on the head. If there is an oak tree just camp beneath it.

Digging up roots can also be very helpful. I'd go for a mix of tactics. Don't overspecialize in one direction. That is usually good for First Snow and Summer Mountains.

Also don't get your population up to high.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Renio2490 said:

I can't make a tribe the survives in the first snow. Please help me. I want to make a snow tribe. Send me tips.

Tbh I would start on the whale island first and then travel to the snow islands because then I would have wings and I could just zoom around with no worries. THat's just my opinion tho

• Like 1

Balance Bears are fairly easy to survive because they only move one tile at a time so are incredibly easy to outrun. That is, unless there are more than one on top of you. 

I usually pick a nicheling that I don't like to be the 'bait' and make the balance bear chase them, leading them away from the tribe

• Like 1

As a Finn, I can give you some advice. Get some warm clothes. Jackets, pants, wool hats, mittens, wool socks, winter boots and a scarf. Get lots of warm blankets. Make sure you never run out of firewood if you have a fireplace. Cocoa powder and tea/coffee are also required to survive this long dark time. If you have time, go to the library and stack up on good books.

For practise, I suggest you play The Long Dark until you can make it for at least two in-game days. After that you might survive the real world.

The winter can be tough, but after a couple of years you might be ready to go outside and have some fun in the snow. Build a castle, a snowman or a snow horse. Maybe even go skiing, ice skating or sledding.

I hope this was any help in staying alive in winter!

• Haha 4

...But anyway, surviving in a winter biome. First off, claws and diggers paw will become your best friend, and depending on which winter island you go to, big body and any of the ancient genes. In easier biomes like first snow, sometimes you don’t have to bother with those genes; find a berry bush and huddle up against it for warmth. Other times... boy, I hope you’re good at hunting!