Stray Fawn Community

New Parts Feedback

Yarr!

I thought it could help to make a thread where we share our observations about the new parts :D 

I'll detail more as I get my feet wet, but here are some of my initial thoughts so far:

VTOL thrusters:

-Good: My new favorite part. Drones will be faster, more responsive, smaller, and smarter.

-Bad: Doubly so for sumo spinners. 

Proximity sensors:

-Good: Huge potential. Fully automated spin-free are now turrets within reach. Terrain avoidance is easier. Better formations. Smarter drones.

-Bad: The lack of range is prohibitive.

Afterburners

-Good: High speed shenanigans. Could be weaponized with future tweaks to collision damage

-Bad: Jump thrusters can mitigate the minimum speed requirement pretty easily, making that feature seem kind of pointless. 

-Possibly bad: spinners can spin REALLY fast now. 

That's as far as I've gotten so far. Thanks for the new toys! :D 

• Like 3

The small speed gauge on the afterburner is extremely welcome, and absolutely not something I would have thought about.

The VTOL thrusters make it rather easy for a drone (i.e. a spinner) to occupy the centre of the sumo arena now, since all you need is two of them pointing toward said centre. I do not mind; then again, I do not play a lot of sumo. (I made an 80 part spinner and was done with it as a mode.)

• Like 1

After some serious time spent racing, I wanted to comment on what I've noticed about the parts there:

VTOL thrusters are incredibly strong. They don't pack as much thrust as other thrusters, but their built in guidance combined with the weight freed up by eliminating dedicated maneuvering thrusters is extremely attractive. Combinations of nothing but VTOL thrusters, standard thrusters and fuel are near top tier and significantly easier to design than the drones they are beating.

Factories are still king. If a drone can beat an opponent out of the gate, they can drop a 50+ part wall of magnets on them and coast to victory. This tactic hard counters VTOL everything and, so far as I've seen, can only be countered by a faster drone that can in turn deploy their own wall of doom.

Proximity sensor. Too short for high speed terrain avoidance, sadly. 

Distance sensors. Somewhat uncommon since the dawning of the age of VTOL, but still pretty good. They tend to twitch around no matter how secure they are, giving drones the appearances of agitated arthropods. I'm not a bug hater, but really like the idea of giving sensors an invisible setting. 

Afterburners. I swear I'm the only one using these things in races, probably because I tend to blow up a lot. It's tough toeing the line between moving quickly enough to activate them enough to be worth it and slow enough to still allow cornering. I find myself withing for a hand brake. I've built some winners with afterburners onboard, but it seems like even when I'm not smearing the walls with drone parts, I run out of fuel too quickly. 

That's all so far!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Garheardt the Black said:

I run out of fuel too quickly.

I feel like if you think that you run out of fuel too quickly, then the afterburners are working correctly. They’re supposed to be inefficient. If they weren’t, then they would be unbalanced.

• Like 1

I haven’t had a chance to play with the new update yet, but from what I’ve heard, I have some feedback.

Position trackers - things can only track the nearest one. They would be far more useful if individual ones could be targeted.

UI might be a bit of a challenge. If things could only target position trackers, then the tag UI could be reused. But things can target things other than trackers, so maybe some sort of hybrid UI?