Stray Fawn Community

Offset for position trackers

Lurkily

I'd like to see position trackers project a tracing location offset from themselves.  Like distance sensors, give them a range.  Adjusting that range would extend the triangular 'point' that is tracked forward from the block.  This would let you do things like put a formation flyer off your wing without tracking multiple trackers (currently impossible).  It would let you use tracers as a laser-targeter for weapons, and a dozen other things I can't imagine right now.

6 replies to this post

That's my current project; but this won't solve most of the issues I'm having with formation flyers.  I do however ALSO want to laser-target satellite weapons.  But one project at a time. 

When I say impossible, I mean that tracking multiple independent trackers is impossible. 

Formation flyers are still very complicated.  You have to offset a tracker from the core, and orient directional sensors to both, giving you not just alignment but some ability to triangulate a position from both.  The only real success I had requires four directional sensors - four directions for the tracker, four for the core.

In addition, this can't build a full formation; the tracker and core have to be offset to provide separated points of reference, but that separation diminishes as formation flyers get closer to alignment in relation to the tracker and core.

Offset isn't going to solve a lot of those problems.

I had marked success putting the tracker on the satellite, giving me a rotation from the tracker in relation to the core, and orientation on the core's rotation relative to the tracker, but that restricts you to one flyer.

I can think of a method that allows for a formation of 3 vehicles that only requires 2 directional sensors and 6 distance/proximity sensors.

1 directional 1 distance each for the drones on the sides, and 4 distances sensors and a tracker on the drone in front.

I haven’t tested it, but it works in theory, and it is also theoretically expandable into larger “v” formations.

I’m gonna test it later.

I'm trying not to rely on detection/proximity detectors as much as possible; my main problem is that something trying to keep station on the left that ends up on the right has a hard time acting intelligently.  It likes to flail, and won't orbit in all circumstances.  I don't think this suggestion would help a lot, but the vector thruster offset suggestion might.

Right now I'm using two directional sensors on the satellite, and one proxy sensor to keep a minimum distance, and experimenting with angles and thrust logic.  Unfortunately, I just haven't been able to give it the time it needs.  I feel like I'm close to something, it's just not there yet.

Still, I can see there being uses for this, particularly in guided weaponry.