Stray Fawn Community

position tracker improvement suggestions

CaliburnS3

Position trackers are cool, but currently only work with directional sensor. For the sake of better implementation and to allow for more complex/interesting drones, have the altitude meter also able to track position trackers. Lower bounds of an altimeter can be the planetary/gravity center of a planet, while you could either set upper or middle bounds of the altimeter to the position tracker. This way, you can dynamically change the altimeter's "sweet spot" mid planet exploration without having to leave planet, edit drone, then edit altimeter manually. I also believe this will allow for a lot of possible orbiting designs that can be used on planets with any shape without worry of missing or crashing into the resource collector drone.

• Like 2

14 replies to this post

That seems similar to the suggestions for the proximity sensor that were suggested before the proximity sensor in the current patch.

I think that the current proximity sensor and distance sensor should be merged into one thing, and the altitude sensor should be replaced by a general purpose proximity sensor.

You could use a directional tracker for this.  Use one to keep your ship level, and another one to indicate whether you are above or below the directional tracker.  It is quite a bit bulkier than an altitude sensor, though, and I am all for additional sensor criteria.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lurkily said:

You could use a directional tracker for this.  Use one to keep your ship level, and another one to indicate whether you are above or below the directional tracker.  It is quite a bit bulkier than an altitude sensor, though, and I am all for additional sensor criteria.

If your drone is right next to the position tracker, then yes, you can track if you are above or below it. however if your drone is on the other side of the planet, that is gonna go so well, that's why i suggested the options for altimeter, it makes it a lot easier to do things like this.

• Like 1

I can do that now; One directional for gravity, one to orbit the planet if the tracker isn't straight down.  Matching each other's altitude isn't a need I understand.  I could see matching a specific altitude, but not matching altitude dynamically from a distance.  Having an idea of the intended use might help explain why support is/isn't needed, or open the door to different ideas that might support that case better.

On 2/5/2019 at 7:58 PM, Lurkily said:

I can do that now; One directional for gravity, one to orbit the planet if the tracker isn't straight down.  Matching each other's altitude isn't a need I understand.  I could see matching a specific altitude, but not matching altitude dynamically from a distance.  Having an idea of the intended use might help explain why support is/isn't needed, or open the door to different ideas that might support that case better.

basically, due to the resource gathering thing being differing heights you could drop a sensor in the bin, that way its much easier to return drone parts/resources back to the resource gatherer. Plus it would make orbiting drones much easier as you can use the little sensor to tell you what height is the optimal orbit (since you set it within the game yourself). Also i completely forgot i made this suggestion lol.

In the past, I think 100 altitude was set to always be just under the Nimbatus's altitude;  not sure if that's still the case.  For resources, my courier just orbited at 100 altitude until it detected the core overhead (which the main drone detached from, while the core plastered itself to the Nimbatus).  A tracker could supplant the core's function here, though a detached core does give you some protection.

On 2/25/2019 at 8:04 PM, Lurkily said:

In the past, I think 100 altitude was set to always be just under the Nimbatus's altitude;  not sure if that's still the case.  For resources, my courier just orbited at 100 altitude until it detected the core overhead (which the main drone detached from, while the core plastered itself to the Nimbatus).  A tracker could supplant the core's function here, though a detached core does give you some protection.

i believe that the altitude is rather based on the size of the planet, at least thats what I've experienced. with a dynamic altimeter, it basically takes the place of the core. its more for making it easier to create more complex drones without needing lots of programming

I believe -100 to zero is core to average surface, and the Nimbatus is positioned at just over 100 - its distance from the core, like the hopper's, is not consistent, after all. 

I use a drone with multiple subdrones, and the ore couriers that orbit at 100 altitude until my core is overhead, and drop down until they hit the bucket, always glide just a little below the Nimby's altitude.  I was as surprised as anybody that they always seemed to keep the same distance relative to Nimby.

yeah i noticed that, ive just encountered a couple planets where nimby was positioned outside the altimeter's range. even at 100% it wouldn't reach. i guess the dynamic is just me trying to avoid the detachable core method. (which i guess im gonna try soon anyways)

Unless it's changed during the racing updates, it's always just outside that 100% range; my bomber satellites are set to that, and they always level off just under the Nimby.  Previous to that, one or two versions ago, it was a lot more variable, where 100 might have been above it, or below it.  I think at that time the Nimby was at a fixed distance, but altimeter settings varied by planet.  I believe that now the Nimby's altitude is relative to the planet size just like the altimeter is.