Stray Fawn Community

Mammoths!

bostonlobstah

So I thought up a new idea today. It's a large beast, a hybrid between a mammoth and a moth. I will add some concept art later!

It's a non-hostile creature that travels in herds of 3-4 members, which rarely strays more than a few tiles from its  family. But it is not usually afraid of nichelings at all. It will only turn aggressive if you attack a Baby Mammoth. It is extremely powerful, able to kill a nicheling easily, but is incredibly slow. It is also nocturnal, because, well, it's half moth. They would reside mainly in the Mountain biome and occasionally the Grassland, but a more elephant-esque subspecies could live in the Savanna. They live for 100 days, and are babies for 10 days before they grow up. Babies may or may not be able to be tamed, possibly if you separated it from the herd somehow, since babies are afraid of nichelings, unlike adult mammoths. 

It has weather prediction antennae on its head, which it uses to know what to do and where to go. If you do not have antennae, observing the mammoths can be useful in determining what weather will come your way. For example, if it will soon be cold, the mammoths will huddle up close together. If it will be hotter, the mammoths will search for water or for a shady tree. Before droughts, mammoths will begin to collect more food than usual, and before rain, they will travel around more than usual as they hunt for berry bushes. On a normal day, mammoths will wander around, sometimes stopping to eat grass. On its back is a pair of moth wings, which it uses to jump or flit from tile to tile instead of scoot. It doesn't fly far at all though, because of its massive size.

The real threat of the Mammoth is in its strength. However, its strength is passive and not controlled, coming from its strong, powerful feet instead of vicious jaws or claws. It has a unique way of injuring nichelings: If a nicheling gets too close, the mammoth may accidentally (or intentionally!) stomp on it, (that is, take up its tile), injuring or even killing it. Mammoths should be pretty easy to avoid however, because of their gentle nature and slow movement. 

So here are my ideas for adult mammoth stats. They may seem a bit OP, tell me if you think it needs adjusting:

+1 flying (can only jump one tile at a time)

+2 hearing

+4 smelling

+2 eyesight

+1 distasteful appearance (the wings have eye spots on them)

+1 digging

+2 defense

+5 strength (edited)

+1 collecting

I may add more about the Mammoth here later! Art coming soon!

4 replies to this post

I like this idea, but i would be more interested in seeing something based off of a mammoth other than the woolly mammoth that could inhabit the savannah biome. We have a lot of animals in the snowy islands and not very many in the savannah. The strength could also be lowered a little, but other than that the stats aren't too op 

Also do people actually call them mammuts? I've never heard them be called that before O.o

• Like 1

I agree, it is supposed to be larger than a balance bear and is supposed to be able to crush things, but can it crush other animals? that would be useful, there would be a pack of ramfoxes in the mountains trying to eat its baby, then the mammoth would run over them and they would all die, then you get free meat

• Like 1