Stray Fawn Community

Paracosmic's Storylets

Paracosmic

I've been obsessed with this pen-and-paper game Microscope Union recently. And what better way to experiment with it and family trees and whatnot than by playing Niche?

This is less of a playthrough log and more of a series of short storylets that may or may not be in chronological order. Hence its presence in the fanart forum. If this is in the wrong place, please let me know. I wasn't sure where else it would fit, since it's not really roleplay -- it's fanfic.

Introduction

The tribe split slowly. There were too many differences in power, too many nichelings who wanted a voice outside that prescribed to them by birth.

The schism grew inexorably closer, until one day, everything fractured.

Locus was at the crux of that fracture.

She didn't start the war, not really.

She didn't do what history said she did.

Notes: And we're off! If you really want to know the rules I'm following, let me know. But that's not really the point of this exercise. It's the stories, after all, that make a history. The goal is to create an actual story, not relying on lots of screenshots and whatnot.

Edit: I made a pedigree chart! I'll probably modify it so I can track immunities, deaths, and whatnot. Here's a link, for those of you who don't want spoilers.

Edited by Paracosmic

3 hours ago, Paracosmic said:

@Aetherskye - I'm using a (solo) roleplay game as a tool to help with my writing. So it's not roleplay, it's fanfic -- that's why it's here and not in roleplay.

I wasn't saying it was I was saying its like the war happening in the roleplay section

Adam - The Lone Nicheling

Sometimes Adam thought he'd been born to be alone.

There'd been a time -- a long time -- when he'd hated it, when the days seemed pass endlessly, everything the same as it was the day before. But that time was long past. He'd made a life for himself in the wilderness. He'd learned how to hunt, how to make shelter, how to grow up, and he'd done it all on his own. Being alone didn't hurt like it used to, in those first few years after finding himself alone and abandoned. He was proud of it, proud of his ability to make a life for himself without anyone else around him.

So when he left the island, making his way slowly across the sea bridge, it wasn't because he was lonely. No, Adam wasn't capable of loneliness anymore. He was happy being alone, thrived on it.

No, it was something about the island. There was something that just wasn't right about it, even after all this time. The realization had come upon him suddenly, after years of contented living on his island. One minute he was hunting rabbils and the next he'd stopped suddenly, let his prey escape. Something was missing on his island, something indefinable. He didn't have words to describe it -- it just was. And as soon as he'd had that thought, he found he couldn't leave it alone.

So he left his island. As he crossed the bridge, he didn't know where he was going. He just knew that wherever he ended up, it just had to be more right than the place he'd just come from.

• Like 3

On 2/14/2019 at 11:21 PM, Paracosmic said:

Adam - The Lone Nicheling

Sometimes Adam thought he'd been born to be alone.

There'd been a time -- a long time -- when he'd hated it, when the days seemed pass endlessly, everything the same as it was the day before. But that time was long past. He'd made a life for himself in the wilderness. He'd learned how to hunt, how to make shelter, how to grow up, and he'd done it all on his own. Being alone didn't hurt like it used to, in those first few years after finding himself alone and abandoned. He was proud of it, proud of his ability to make a life for himself without anyone else around him.

So when he left the island, making his way slowly across the sea bridge, it wasn't because he was lonely. No, Adam wasn't capable of loneliness anymore. He was happy being alone, thrived on it.

No, it was something about the island. There was something that just wasn't right about it, even after all this time. The realization had come upon him suddenly, after years of contented living on his island. One minute he was hunting rabbils and the next he'd stopped suddenly, let his prey escape. Something was missing on his island, something indefinable. He didn't have words to describe it -- it just was. And as soon as he'd had that thought, he found he couldn't leave it alone.

So he left his island. As he crossed the bridge, he didn't know where he was going. He just knew that wherever he ended up, it just had to be more right than the place he'd just come from.

This is really nice and well thought out! I sure hope you continue! I truly love to read these, ahh I love your writing style too I'm in love ❤️ 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Paracosmic said:

@Basil - Thank you! :) It's been a busy week/weekend IRL, but I should be back to playing soon -- I really need to pick my tribe for Tiny Green. 😕

Ahh I understand business across the board... gee freshman year is a pain for me.

Also, Tiny Green is quite literally my favorite island (to just... start on) cuz you can survive with so many creatures because of how abundant with food and stuff it is! 

@Basil - Yeah, that transition is rough on a lot of people. Just don't get mono. It makes everything five hundred times worse. I've actually been recovering from a weekend on the night shift and from being sick the week before. Good luck with exams!

I like Tiny Green, too -- but then, it and the Story Mode beginner islands are the only ones I've played so far. :p

• Like 1

Eve - The Nomadic Nicheling

Now this island, Eve thought, was perfect.

First and foremost -- and the reason her parents would've hated it -- it was warm. That was, admittedly, why she had come this far south. As much as she loved her family, she just couldn't stand the snow.

And this island, out of all the islands she'd come to, had absolutely no snow.

When she'd glimpsed it across the bridge, she'd thought it was all snow. She'd approached it with trepidation, waiting for the air to turn cold. But it hadn't, and now she saw that what had looked like snow was actually sand.

And that sand was hot.

Finally, finally, she'd found a place warm enough for her. White sand that burned the paws in the middle of the day, long grass that was always cool on the paws, even a fruiting tree. It took her a few days to figure out how to crack them, but she finally did, carefully working the hard shell off to get at the soft insides.

Yes, this was the perfect island. Occasionally travelers would stop by, bringing news from other islands. Perhaps one day one of those travelers would stay for more than just a few days. But for now, she was happy as she was, a young nicheling on her tiny tropical island.

---

Author's Note: Eve has Nimble Fingers! That helps a lot, because my pre-Tiny Green island has no rabbils and no stagmoles. Unfortunately, the coconuts have a tendency to bean my poor nichelings in the head. :(

@Aetherskye @Skysplash8 - Not sure why you guys have latched onto Meringue, but okay. :p

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Paracosmic said:

Eve - The Nomadic Nicheling

Now this island, Eve thought, was perfect.

First and foremost -- and the reason her parents would've hated it -- it was warm. That was, admittedly, why she had come this far south. As much as she loved her family, she just couldn't stand the snow.

And this island, out of all the islands she'd come to, had absolutely no snow.

When she'd glimpsed it across the bridge, she'd thought it was all snow. She'd approached it with trepidation, waiting for the air to turn cold. But it hadn't, and now she saw that what had looked like snow was actually sand.

And that sand was hot.

Finally, finally, she'd found a place warm enough for her. White sand that burned the paws in the middle of the day, long grass that was always cool on the paws, even a fruiting tree. It took her a few days to figure out how to crack them, but she finally did, carefully working the hard shell off to get at the soft insides.

Yes, this was the perfect island. Occasionally travelers would stop by, bringing news from other islands. Perhaps one day one of those travelers would stay for more than just a few days. But for now, she was happy as she was, a young nicheling on her tiny tropical island.

---

Author's Note: Eve has Nimble Fingers! That helps a lot, because my pre-Tiny Green island has no rabbils and no stagmoles. Unfortunately, the coconuts have a tendency to bean my poor nichelings in the head. :(

@Aetherskye @Skysplash8 - Not sure why you guys have latched onto Meringue, but okay. 😛

THIS explains all!

(Click on THIS)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Aetherskye said:

THIS explains all!

(Click on THIS)

GOOD JOB MY STUDENT. MAKE ME KNOWN TO THE WORLD!

27 minutes ago, Paracosmic said:

@Aetherskye - This makes much more sense. And here I was like, "This is a cool yellow nichelet -- let's name her after lemon meringue, because I just ate a lemon meringue donut."

Heheheh I've never actually had meringue (and I didn't actually know what it was when i named Meringue. Then I looked it up and found out that it's white and when burned, has orange. And meringue is white with orange. COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT.), though it honestly look disgusting.

Just now, Skysplash8 said:

GOOD JOB MY STUDENT. MAKE ME KNOWN TO THE WORLD!

Heheheh I've never actually had meringue (and I didn't actually know what it was when i named Meringue. Then I looked it up and found out that it's white and when burned, has orange. And meringue is white with orange. COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT.), though it honestly look disgusting.

I learned of Meringue through The Great British Baking Show. It looks good on cakes! (I really want meringue now)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aetherskye said:

I learned of Meringue through The Great British Baking Show. It looks good on cakes! (I really want meringue now)

Yes! This is where I really learned of it -- before that I'd heard of it in a book series I read as a kid, but never really understood what it was.

• Like 2