Stray Fawn Community

Hunting Walrus Deer?

Jojo

So what is the best genetic set up to hunt walrus deer? I found poison fangs are generally useful against all the creatures in the mountains but apart from that what else? I can only guess heat body (I am currently playing on FrostLands and you don't get far without heat body).

So what is your optimal genetic set up for hunting Walrus Deer, if you even bother :)

• Like 1

When it comes to slaying the majestic beast- known as Walrus Deer- I would recommend Saber Tooth fangs. They deal a good amount of damage. Once I had a Mega horn, Saber-toothed, Claw nicheling!  (It was awesome- Rip Kealinn)  I found him to be the most effective. 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, magpie said:

I'd go for heat body, mega horns, sabertooth fangs, bearyena claws, normal hind legs and scorpion tail (unless there's a cold resistance penalty). Haven't tried this combo yet though.

I was thinking about scorpion tail as well. Not sure though as I have hammer tail still floating around and want to keep some strength and speed (so you know big body is in the lines as well as some runner legs)

"Speed", or rather mobility, could be gained by wings, too; heat body won't slow you down and you can use bearyena hind legs for extra strength (plus mega horns plus sabertooth fangs). With this combination, no further strength or speed is necessary, so scorpion tail becomes a must. :)Big body forces your pack to stay in a cluster to warm each other up (i. e. the cold resistance isn't absolute) and so it's harder to surround the deer effectively, while runner legs don't add up to damage and their 'reach' is rather limited compared to wings. My opinion though, I haven't really experimented that much, so feel free to prove me wrong.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, magpie said:

"Speed", or rather mobility, could be gained by wings, too; heat body won't slow you down and you can use bearyena hind legs for extra strength (plus mega horns plus sabertooth fangs). With this combination, no further strength or speed is necessary, so scorpion tail becomes a must. :)Big body forces your pack to stay in a cluster to warm each other up (i. e. the cold resistance isn't absolute) and so it's harder to surround the deer effectively, while runner legs don't add up to damage and their 'reach' is rather limited compared to wings. My opinion though, I haven't really experimented that much, so feel free to prove me wrong.

nice, basically your nichelings become killer birds

• Like 1

4 hours ago, magpie said:

Also having wings and strength allows you to hunt the blue birds, which I believe drop 20 food each  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, magpie said:

I thought about wings but apart from the fact that it would take ages to breed them into my line at this point, I am not a big fan of them in general. They just don't do much apart from the fact that they give mobility (like I can't collect anything). But I'll keep it in mind :D

• Like 1

How do you not freeze with that combination? I always need 5 cold resistance or they'll get cold. It wasn't always that way, but recently, they need a 5 even in good weather :/

so it's really just heat body+ fluffy tail for me, with digging trunk, mega. horns and bearyena hindlegs. Pretty effective at food gathering, some platypus beaks also work if there is a nest with rabbils by the shore. If you fly in a pattern, there's always roots and almost never a day without meat. Bluebirds go down easily enough. But you're constantly on the move and pretty much only go to the nesting grounds in the hardest days of winter. After that, there's a rabbil explosion.

Balance bears aren't worth hunting, though, and ramfoxes can get nasty. It's better to keep around 12 nichelings in the peak- group to split up and hunt in two teams. Way more food, but I'm also really weak with a measly 3 in strenght. it's fun for a while that way. I should really try your style to see if I can survive well enough hunting predators instead of migrating. If the cold wouldn't get in the way, the winged hammertail and bearyena tribe could have a comeback...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RandomWanderer said:

How do you not freeze with that combination? I always need 5 cold resistance or they'll get cold. It wasn't always that way, but recently, they need a 5 even in good weather :/

so it's really just heat body+ fluffy tail for me, with digging trunk, mega. horns and bearyena hindlegs. Pretty effective at food gathering, some platypus beaks also work if there is a nest with rabbils by the shore. If you fly in a pattern, there's always roots and almost never a day without meat. Bluebirds go down easily enough. But you're constantly on the move and pretty much only go to the nesting grounds in the hardest days of winter. After that, there's a rabbil explosion.

Balance bears aren't worth hunting, though, and ramfoxes can get nasty. It's better to keep around 12 nichelings in the peak- group to split up and hunt in two teams. Way more food, but I'm also really weak with a measly 3 in strenght. it's fun for a while that way. I should really try your style to see if I can survive well enough hunting predators instead of migrating. If the cold wouldn't get in the way, the winged hammertail and bearyena tribe could have a comeback...

I find fighting balance bears really useful, way easier than walrus deer or anything else because they don't move and with Nichelings on all sides (sometimes you don't even need that) you can take them down in 2-3 days and all the other Nichelings can be cold support.

I think there is no 100% good set up for the mountains as there is for the jungle. Because depending on what prey/ food source you focus on you'll need different genes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think you should go for high strength, speed and cold resistance. Mega horns are great if you have them, poison fangs are really good because they can wear the deer down over time. Leave at least one space for the walrus deer to move if you corner it or it will fight back. So I think a good gene combination would be big body, poison fangs, megaskkcssddjkl horns, runner and bearyena claw, and normal tail. I've never tried this as I just attack walrus deer and chase them down and don't rely on them for food but I think it should work well. 

• Like 2

For walrus deer, your only options are “Do you want to take it down fast or be able to catch up to it?” If Option A (speed), I recommend genes like claw and normal hind legs, but for safe-keeping I recommend big body and mega antlers. For strength... Literally just go nuts. Bearyena claws! Poison fangs! Choose whatever you like. 

• Like 1

Venom is not useful as an offensive weapon. Its better to just use something that adds strength directly. You need something that adds speed too or you will be too slow. Wings are the best option but runner leg will do. I think the best build is Mega horns, bearyena/saber fangs, wings, hammer tail and bearyena hind legs. Its not the strongest creature but has the mobility to swarm everything.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MountainDrake said:

Venom is not useful as an offensive weapon. Its better to just use something that adds strength directly. You need something that adds speed too or you will be too slow. Wings are the best option but runner leg will do. I think the best build is Mega horns, bearyena/saber fangs, wings, hammer tail and bearyena hind legs. Its not the strongest creature but has the mobility to swarm everything.

That worked well for my original bearyena tribe, but without a 5 in cold resistance, you just freeze at this point. The tail isn't worth it if it wastes so many turns.