Stray Fawn Community

shoebill

kakapo123

I love shoebills (not really sure why) and I think this would be a cool way to add fishing for nichelings with wings. It would have 1 smell, 2 fishing and 1 attack and would be unlocked by having 50 nichelings with the fishing tail

959.jpg

cc7991360ae37951b2e686e1f99bed96.jpg

Links to other beak suggestions:

• Like 2
  • Paw up 1

15 replies to this post

3 hours ago, Fishyfishyfishy500 said:

basically birds often use their bills to do things which other animals do with their limbs, tail, etc. for example, the toucan uses its bill to reach fruit and eggs on thin branches, while a monkey uses it's hands, I'm saying that while it would be useful, it would be odd for the average run of the mill nicheling to unlock a beak like that even though it, birds had wings for a long time in their evolutionary history, and their beaks/feet(in the case of parrots and raptors) serve to work around the limitations wings have versus say, arms

All birds have beaks, but so do/did a number of other non-avian animals. Monotremes (mammals), dicynodonts (therapsids, close relatives of mammals), testudines, ceratopsians, probably some other ornithischians too, and pterosaurs (reptiles), cephalopods (molluscs) and pufferfish and billfish (fish) all have beaks, even though none of them have wings. Apparently anuran tadpoles (amphibians) have beaks too. If you wouldn't want your nicheling to have a beak unless they have wings then thats cool, but needing both 50 nichelings with the fishing tail and 50 nichelings with wings seems a bit much. The same goes for the parrot beak

Here are some pictures of non-avian animals with beaks. They are, in order, a fossilized skull of Endothiodon angusticeps (a dicynodont), a hawksbill sea turtle (a testudine), a beak from a Humboldt squid (a cephalopod) and a fahaka pufferfish (you should be able to work this one out on your own)

Endothiodon angusticeps.JPG

hawksbill sea turtle.jpg

Humboldt squid beak.jpeg

pufferfish.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fishyfishyfishy500 said:

I know that, it's called convergent evolution, but the specific bill you placed here is more avian, so it would probably be linked to wings in some way, at least in my opinion

I know what convergent evolution is. You were giving me the impression that you thought beaks were a feature unique to birds, my bad. And yes, this is an avian beak, but that doesn't mean something similar couldn't evolve in some other group of animals. The platypus has a bill similar to ducks, hence the name duck-billed platypus, and cephalopods have beaks very similar to parrots. And it's not like niche particularly cares if a gene seems out of place on nichelings, I mean not only have we got the beaks we've also got things like the scorpion tail and antennae

I still think that having 50 nichelings with wings as well as 50 with the cracker jaw is a bit much. As I said before, if you think a beak would look silly on a nicheling without wings then you don't have to give them a beak. Making it more difficult to unlock based on this opinion seems unfair when it's not really going to make much of a difference to your gameplay if you do unlock it

• Like 1

shoebills cannot smell well, so maybe 1 smelling? and once again, imagine funky looking shoebill nichelings with webbed paws and bearyena hindlegs, maybe since these genes are avian, the wings would let you "bridge" into them, because birds use theier bills to do what their now flight, swim or etc. adapted forelimbs and feet can't, like catching fish while also being tall, grabbing fruit off the edges of thin branches or as a way to crack hard seeds and nuts

• Confused 1

And once again, if you think a beak would look 'funky' on a nicheling without wings then dont put it in your nichelings genetics, that's just your personal preference. The platypus couldn't care less that it doesnt have wings, so why should nichelings? Beaks might be a standard trait of birds, but they are not solely avian. 

40 minutes ago, Fishyfishyfishy500 said:

birds use theier bills to do what their now flight, swim or etc. adapted forelimbs and feet can't,

Could you reword that? I'm a little confused :S

basically birds often use their bills to do things which other animals do with their limbs, tail, etc. for example, the toucan uses its bill to reach fruit and eggs on thin branches, while a monkey uses it's hands, I'm saying that while it would be useful, it would be odd for the average run of the mill nicheling to unlock a beak like that even though it, birds had wings for a long time in their evolutionary history, and their beaks/feet(in the case of parrots and raptors) serve to work around the limitations wings have versus say, arms

On 2/19/2019 at 12:16 AM, BirdsAreCool said:

I know what convergent evolution is. You were giving me the impression that you thought beaks were a feature unique to birds, my bad. And yes, this is an avian beak, but that doesn't mean something similar couldn't evolve in some other group of animals. The platypus has a bill similar to ducks, hence the name duck-billed platypus, and cephalopods have beaks very similar to parrots. And it's not like niche particularly cares if a gene seems out of place on nichelings, I mean not only have we got the beaks we've also got things like the scorpion tail and antennae

I still think that having 50 nichelings with wings as well as 50 with the cracker jaw is a bit much. As I said before, if you think a beak would look silly on a nicheling without wings then you don't have to give them a beak. Making it more difficult to unlock based on this opinion seems unfair when it's not really going to make much of a difference to your gameplay if you do unlock it

well ok then

I used to find shoebills so eerie (I still kind of do, look at that first picture hehe) but they've started to grow on me now that I've learned about them.

Anyways I was thinking perhaps this beak should also give +1 Strong voice  or whatever that stat is called. Shoebills do that loud clacking noise with their beaks and apparently moo as well, so the stat might not be necessary but will add even more uniqueness to the beak. Personally I'd love to have this gene in the game, I actually sketched it when I first saw this post a little while ago.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, VankirvanJD said:

I used to find shoebills so eerie (I still kind of do, look at that first picture hehe) but they've started to grow on me now that I've learned about them.

Anyways I was thinking perhaps this beak should also give +1 Strong voice  or whatever that stat is called. Shoebills do that loud clacking noise with their beaks and apparently moo as well, so the stat might not be necessary but will add even more uniqueness to the beak. Personally I'd love to have this gene in the game, I actually sketched it when I first saw this post a little while ago.

I didn't know about them mooing, that must really add to the whole intimidating look they've got going xD

Strong voice would be cool, but I'm not sure if it would be a bit op given its already got high stats?

36 minutes ago, BirdsAreCool said:

Strong voice would be cool, but I'm not sure if it would be a bit op given its already got high stats?

Yeah that's why I wasn't sure, but I don't think it would hurt since other heads have many stats. For example bearyena head has 2 strength, 2 smelling, 1 strong voice and 1 distasteful appearance, so one more +1 stat on a shoebill head may not be too much. But  ultimately it's up to you, I'd be happy with this gene either way. :D

• Like 1