Stray Fawn Community

Hyena challenge

mhiahia

This is a strongly hierarchy orientated challenge that I based of the hierarchy of the spotted hyena. I am not a hyena expert or anything, but I think their packs structure is interesting so I used it as a basis.

Challenge

Your starters have to be a pair. (With the new sandbox update in near future I would like to add that you yourself can decide if you want to make custom starters, but since this is a challenge, I think random starters are the harder option)

First, set the rank of the female to alpha. The male stays a beta. Then, breed them as quickly as possible. I will now explain the hierarchy in detail:

Females

The females are the dominant gender. All females will be ranked as an alpha, except for the lowest female who is a beta. The lowest ranked female is still higher than the highest ranking male. The firstborn daughter of your starter pair will be the second highest female (after her mother). The next born female will be the third-highest, etc. The dominance can be seen by the colours of the first two gems. The highest ranked female should have this written next to her name. This is just an example of how it could look like:

green-green

green-orange

green-blue

green-pink

green-yellow

orange-green

orange-orange

orange-blue, etc.

The highest ranked female will always be able to give birth. The lower ranked a female is, the less likely she is to give birth to her baby. As an extra rule you could say that only the females with certain first gem colours (as in green-orange) are allowed to give birth. Only the females with green as the first gem colour are allowed to use nesting material, all others can only give birth on permanent nests. When a female baby is born, she automatically inherits her mothers rank. Her last gem colour shows which baby she is. Since you only have one gem, you can also write it next to her name. The males do not count, so if a female has already six sons and then her second daughter, this daughter will still be labeled as number two (or second gem colour orange). After a female dies, her oldest daughter inherits her rank. All younger daughters can not get pregnant until the oldest sister dies and the second in line takes her place. This does not apply for the first generation of females (the kids of your starter pair, since they "found" the different ranks). If a female does not want to wait for her sister to die off, she can become the new lowest ranking female and with some luck, "found" a new group. Inside of the gem groups, the oldest females are allowed to give birth. (You can decide how many of them)

Females only get kicked out of the group if they are sick (double immunity sickness, not common cold). If a female who is not allowed to give birth gets a kid or if a low ranked female uses nesting material to give birth you can a) kick the baby out or b)make the baby a slave without any rights (regardless of the gender). Rogue daughters will not inherit their mothers rank and will be forced to become the new lowest female.

As for wanderers, you are not allowed to invite female wanderers.

Males

Every male is ranked as an omega, except for the highest male which is a beta. They have the same colour system as the females (you can change the colours up as you please). However, they do not inherit their fathers position. The males rank system is just about their age. The oldest male is the highest ranking one. The dominant male will only have one goal: To secure that his genes get passed on. This means that he will mate with every available female at any possible time. This will, obviously, result in a lot of inbreeding, sickness and probably also frustration. Since your starter male is the dominant male, he will mate with all of his daughters. Also: A female would never mate with a male that is not the oldest. But you may create forbidden love stories for fun.

For wanderers: You can invite male wanderers, but they are automatically the lowest ranked male. The only way for any male to progress in the hierarchy is to wait for the older ones to die off and for new males to arrive / get born.

So, this is it. I would be happy to hear a feedback.

Edit:

Lower ranked females can overthrow a higher ranked female if they have more kids than her (which could happen if the higher ranked female had a lot of sickly kids that were banished). This would only work if none of the females between the two have more babies than the low ranked female.

Males: You can set a maximum amount of males that are allowed to stay in the group. If a male wanderer arrives you can still invite him.

• Like 11

Just as an additional fun fact for hyenas (they have one of the most complex social system of all mammals). How many offspring you have also helps you secure your rank. Many children = higher rank/ better chance to overthrow the current matriarch. (That could make for some interesting mechanics in the challenge if you want to add it).

Of course usually lower ranking females wouldn't get the best food shares and wouldn't be able to give birth to many children.

Also, also males usually leave the pack they were born into and they usually don't overthrow the highest ranking male. We had a hyena challenge on steam where you had to have all your males leave and depending on your luck if they found a female wanderer you could have a lot of different packs on a big island which was fun :D

• Like 4

On 2/22/2019 at 9:17 PM, Jojo said:

Just as an additional fun fact for hyenas (they have one of the most complex social system of all mammals). How many offspring you have also helps you secure your rank. Many children = higher rank/ better chance to overthrow the current matriarch. (That could make for some interesting mechanics in the challenge if you want to add it).

Of course usually lower ranking females wouldn't get the best food shares and wouldn't be able to give birth to many children.

Also, also males usually leave the pack they were born into and they usually don't overthrow the highest ranking male. We had a hyena challenge on steam where you had to have all your males leave and depending on your luck if they found a female wanderer you could have a lot of different packs on a big island which was fun :D

I am really sorry about the delayed answer. For the thing with the babies: I thought about it and I think I will add that if a female has more kids than a higher ranked female (for example if the higher ranked female had a lot of sick babies were thrown out) then they would take over their place, but only if they are right behind her in rank or all females between them also have less kids than her.

For the thing with the males: I knew that they normally wander off but I kinda like the idea of complete chaos and a lot of sick babes if the related males stay 😉On the other hand I think that a limit of males would be fun. I think the overthrowing in this challenge just works in the fact that once the highest ranking male dies, the second highest male becomes the highest ranked.

• Like 2

On 2/22/2019 at 12:17 PM, jutzi.sophie said:

This is a strongly hierarchy orientated challenge that I based of the hierarchy of the spotted hyena. I am not a hyena expert or anything, but I think their packs structure is interesting so I used it as a basis.

Challenge

Your starters have to be a pair. (With the new sandbox update in near future I would like to add that you yourself can decide if you want to make custom starters, but since this is a challenge, I think random starters are the harder option)

First, set the rank of the female to alpha. The male stays a beta. Then, breed them as quickly as possible. I will now explain the hierarchy in detail:

Females

The females are the dominant gender. All females will be ranked as an alpha, except for the lowest female who is a beta. The lowest ranked female is still higher than the highest ranking male. The firstborn daughter of your starter pair will be the second highest female (after her mother). The next born female will be the third-highest, etc. The dominance can be seen by the colours of the first two gems. The highest ranked female should have this written next to her name. This is just an example of how it could look like:

green-green

green-orange

green-blue

green-pink

green-yellow

orange-green

orange-orange

orange-blue, etc.

The highest ranked female will always be able to give birth. The lower ranked a female is, the less likely she is to give birth to her baby. As an extra rule you could say that only the females with certain first gem colours (as in green-orange) are allowed to give birth. Only the females with green as the first gem colour are allowed to use nesting material, all others can only give birth on permanent nests. When a female baby is born, she automatically inherits her mothers rank. Her last gem colour shows which baby she is. Since you only have one gem, you can also write it next to her name. The males do not count, so if a female has already six sons and then her second daughter, this daughter will still be labeled as number two (or second gem colour orange). After a female dies, her oldest daughter inherits her rank. All younger daughters can not get pregnant until the oldest sister dies and the second in line takes her place. This does not apply for the first generation of females (the kids of your starter pair, since they "found" the different ranks). If a female does not want to wait for her sister to die off, she can become the new lowest ranking female and with some luck, "found" a new group. Inside of the gem groups, the oldest females are allowed to give birth. (You can decide how many of them)

Females only get kicked out of the group if they are sick (double immunity sickness, not common cold). If a female who is not allowed to give birth gets a kid or if a low ranked female uses nesting material to give birth you can a) kick the baby out or b)make the baby a slave without any rights (regardless of the gender). Rogue daughters will not inherit their mothers rank and will be forced to become the new lowest female.

As for wanderers, you are not allowed to invite female wanderers.

Males

Every male is ranked as an omega, except for the highest male which is a beta. They have the same colour system as the females (you can change the colours up as you please). However, they do not inherit their fathers position. The males rank system is just about their age. The oldest male is the highest ranking one. The dominant male will only have one goal: To secure that his genes get passed on. This means that he will mate with every available female at any possible time. This will, obviously, result in a lot of inbreeding, sickness and probably also frustration. Since your starter male is the dominant male, he will mate with all of his daughters. Also: A female would never mate with a male that is not the oldest. But you may create forbidden love stories for fun.

For wanderers: You can invite male wanderers, but they are automatically the lowest ranked male. The only way for any male to progress in the hierarchy is to wait for the older ones to die off and for new males to arrive / get born.

So, this is it. I would be happy to hear a feedback.

Edit:

Lower ranked females can overthrow a higher ranked female if they have more kids than her (which could happen if the higher ranked female had a lot of sickly kids that were banished). This would only work if none of the females between the two have more babies than the low ranked female.

Males: You can set a maximum amount of males that are allowed to stay in the group. If a male wanderer arrives you can still invite him.

oof sounds like alot, but also pretty cool!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2019 at 11:10 PM, VankirvanJD said:

I'm trying this, wish me luck! I intentionally made my nichelings look like hyenas with the bearyena genes and spots lol

How did it go?

10 hours ago, mhiahia said:

How did it go?

oh it's going well! I haven't played with them in a little while but so far I have three Clans, one led by Reta (the largest clan and on the right side of the island). The next Clan is led by Zaloa, daughter of Reta, and is on the left side of the island. The last clan is the most recent and the smallest, and is located right next to Zaloa's clan (it's the four top most nichelings near Zaloa's clan.) This clan has no matriarch yet since there's a rivalry between two females. If I remember correctly one of them might have had a kid though so there might be a matriarch. I hope to have a patriarch one day since though it is super rare with hyenas it is possible. :) 

2021394992_Screenshot(150).thumb.png.e6d53df31ab2823afe54d71f9fb7c570.png

• Like 1