Stray Fawn Community

More challenging missions

derpy2003pb

I would like to propose an idea. As I have made some pretty OP drones (try searching “OP SNAKE MK 3” in the steam workshop, which I hopefully will upload later today). I have found the current missions to be WAY TOO EASY! There needs to be some sort of difficulty setting for missions that players can adjust to their liking. It could range from small swarms of ~5 enemies to swarms of ~30-50+. Also, just a random tip: use shotgun (basic blaster + upgraded shooting speed over time + (optional) energy saver upgrade) with magnets to make a shield of bullets and then go really fast at one of the clouds of enemies then, using the magnets, repel the bullets forward. This creates a fast and deadly wall of bullets, ultimately destroying the swarm. That’s why I say that the game is too easy, I just destroy my opponents with ease. I need more of a challenge.

17 replies to this post

I think that a full progression system would solve this problem better than just higher difficulty.

stat scaling and number increases in enemies might be part of it, but I think that restrictions on the player would be more important (but there would still have to be a restriction-less sandbox mode similar to what we have now).

Not exactly the same thing.  This is more about bringing a sense of progress to the player's capabilities.  The 'sweet spot' in gaming is usually about hitting a sacred balance between increasing skill, capability, and/or control,  against an increasing challenge.  If a player perceives their capability as high, perceives the challenge as high, lacks distractions, and feels they have control over events, that's where the magic happens.

Progression is all about the increasing capability side of the equation.  Right now, the player just gets every tool all at once, and can go over-the-top to dominate most missions from the start just by adding more of everything.  What we want is to start the player off with limited capability and limited challenge.  We want all of the giveaways to be rewarding unlocks, without subjecting the player to a crushing grind.  That way rising challenge can be met by rising capability, and the current content (everything unlocked, unlimited drone size) can be more like endgame content, with matching challenges to face an endgame player.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Alpino_WILL_STEAL_ oats! said:

NYAHH! Progression is fine the way it is! Players should be able to build what ever they want from the beginning

That is what I’m getting at. Players who are still learning the basics can decrease the difficulty while more experienced players can challenge themselves with higher difficulty levels and have more enemies to deal with like the old players had to in earlier versions of the game and bee swarms of 30+ bees. I just want to give my OP drone a true challenge as it can cut through the current enemies like budda.

15 hours ago, Alpino_WILL_STEAL_ oats! said:

NYAHH! Progression is fine the way it is! Players should be able to build what ever they want from the beginning

While that might be nice for more expirienced players, it would ultimately be much better if there was a full progression system. There would still be a sandbox mode, so don’t get freaked out about it, you still have the power of unlimited creativity.

• Like 2

Give it a chance; as I said, sandbox will probably still exist, either as endgame content or as a separate game mode, and you might enjoy the cycle of challenge and reward that's implemented. 

Remember, one thing sandbox game struggle with is reward systems; they're hard to implement without structure.  If you have ever been pleased to unlock an upgrade you know what I mean - progress involves rewarding a player, and we need more of that.  If you stick with them and see what emerges, you might find yourself responding to a good progression system.

I am not; I found them during their kickstarter, and have followed them with more or less attention since then, and have tried to use my voice to help shine some light on what might or might not be way forward.  I do help in an official capacity as a moderator, but it's strictly a volunteer role.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1