Stray Fawn Community

The Hemophilic Female Glitch

Robb Plat
Message added by Philo

Philo is looking into it

Dear Niche Devs,

Thank you for making this adorable, innovative, and imaginative genetics game! As someone interested in genetics, I think it's great that you created this very simple genetics game to show how simple genetics works in a fun setting.

Hemophilia and Normal clotting are the only X-linked genetics in Niche. Hemophilia is passed down from father to daughter or from mother to offspring.

In the 1.1.4 version, I have encountered females with hemophilia (they have two copies of the gene). They should pass down their hemophilia to their daughters (who will become carriers) and their hemophilic sons. The bug that I'm reporting makes it so that the males do not inherit the hemophilia, and instead have normal blood clotting, which seemingly comes out of nowhere! While this may be beneficial for players who want to weed out this detrimental gene, it doesn't accurately show how hemophilia is inherited, or how X-linked genes work. I hope you will fix this bug and perhaps add other X-linked genes like colour-blindness affecting Nicheling stats somehow, or other non-Mendelian traits.

Here are some pictures of the hemophilic female (a wanderer), her son and daughters with hemophilia selected in the family tree.

Cheers,

Robb

P.S. - I didn't mutate for normal blood clotting in the hemophilic female in the Mutation Menu.

Hemophilic Female.png

Son lacks hemophilia.png

Female offspring do pass it down normally.png

Edited by Robb Plat
Note about mutation menu.
  • Like 3

7 replies to this post

I'm not sure if I fully understand what you said, but let's hope I did xD

This is how (well, I think...) the Blood Clotting works: For females, they get their father's bloodclotting + random selection of one of their mother's bloddclotting genes. For males, they do the same, except whatever becomes recessive just ceases to exist. I honesty don't know how it works, but thats how I think of it working. There has been a feature request to make this work more like how it does in real life.

Now, @Philo, am I correct, or is this actually a bug and I don't even know how this gene works even though I've played this game for over a year and I'm a moderator? Or something else?

• Like 2

Haha, I actually also have to check the code again. Will take a look next week during the Niche update prep :)
If you're mom and dad both had hemophilia (the mom as a carrier), shouldn't the dauther have a 50% percent chance of also having hemophilia? Not as a carrier, but as an active sickness?

• Like 1

I read about this in the suggestion thread as well and agreed that it should be fixed. I have never noticed it happening in game because I don't look to closely at how it is passed down but I have seen multiple screenshots where it shows that it is a little wonky.

I think the problem is: (mainly explained for @Skysplash8 ) that the hemophilia in game isn't that well linked to the gender as it is in real life (epxlained below).

Hemophilia is a recessive gene that is linked to the x chromosome (females have xx males have xy). That are the chromosomes that define the gender.

Now if the mother has double hemophilia, Father is healthy: that would make all the daughters healthy (but still a carrier as they get the healthy x chromosome from their father and one sick chromosome from their mother), the boys however will always be sick as they will get the y chromosome from the father and the x chromosome from the mother. Here we now can look at the screenshots provided above: the girls are carriers as they should be but the boys are healthy though they should be sick as they get the y from the father (which carries no genetic information apart from the gender and the sicks x from the mother):

If both parents are sick of course the children would always be sick.

If the mother is healthy and the father is sick the daughters will always be healthy (but carriers (they will always get one sick x from the father) and the sons will always be healthy without being carriers as they only get the y chromosome from the father.

If the mother is a carrier and the father is sick the girls have a 50% chance to end up sick (getting the sick x from the father and the sick from the mother). The same goes for the boys as they can only get the y from the father and it is luck if they end up with the sick or the healthy x.

If the mother is a carrier and the father is healthy there is a 50% chance that the girls will be carriers.

Does that make sense? (Philo probably knows this but I thought I'd explain it anyway :D )

• Like 6

On 2/24/2019 at 2:10 AM, Jojo said:

Here we now can look at the screenshots provided above: the girls are carriers as they should be but the boys are healthy though they should be sick as they get the y from the father (which carries no genetic information apart from the gender and the sicks x from the mother):

Yes, that is precisely it. :) Thank you for the explanation.

I wanted to report this to the devs and community as I haven't seen it discussed very much.

I do hope blood clotting/hemophila starts working as it normally should again.

• Like 2

I would like to update this. In the 1.1.6 tester the hemophila seems to be working normally. I started off with two hemophilic Nichelings in Sandbox mode (which I had intentionally made hemophilic), and the inheritance worked as it should. It's possible that only some wandering hemophilic females start this glitch.

In this picture, you can see that the hemophilia genes are segregating as they should. The only ones that don't have hemophilia are females who have a normal bloodclotting father, plus one female wanderer and a male wanderer.

781985017_ScreenShot2019-03-04at12_05_03PM.thumb.png.b87e57aa1ef52fca4445f72bb8e4ea86.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Robb Plat said:

I would like to update this. In the 1.1.6 tester the hemophila seems to be working normally. I started off with two hemophilic Nichelings in Sandbox mode (which I had intentionally made hemophilic), and the inheritance worked as it should. It's possible that only some wandering hemophilic females start this glitch.

In this picture, you can see that the hemophilia genes are segregating as they should. The only ones that don't have hemophilia are females who have a normal bloodclotting father, plus one female wanderer and a male wanderer.

781985017_ScreenShot2019-03-04at12_05_03PM.thumb.png.b87e57aa1ef52fca4445f72bb8e4ea86.png

I am 90% sure that I had the glitch still in my 1.1.6 but you know not super sure. I'll keep an eye out

• Like 1