Stray Fawn Community

Siren Head Fixed

Larawolf

Hi! I made a post called underwater gene, siren head, about a week or two back. There were a lot of issues with it and I didn't think through all the negatives of it, so heres my second attempt. 

The Gene is called Siren Head as it is in the snout/head slot. It's primary use and ability is to allow the nicheling to call out to creatures under the water. I'd say a fair distance to call out to would be within a 6 space radius, so any underwater creature spawned within those spaces would be drawn to the creatures "song" 

In the previous post, I made the mistake of saying this creature would have no eyesight, this is no longer the case. 

Here are the stats, (let me know if i forget anything)

• +2 smelling (I don't think anything under the water even has a scent anyway, so this doesn't matter much
  • underwater breathing ability 
  • New trait, "Ocean's Song" Is the creatures ability to sing and lure in other creatures

I really feel like this head should have some drawback to it, so that way the other underwater breathing head wouldn't be entirely useless, since all it does is give you water breathing, if anyone can think of something that's equally balanced to its positive functions I'd appreciate it. 

I will fix up the picture below when I return home (I've been working away for a few weeks) and will be changing it in this way: 

• The eyes will be the full range of colors as the game currently has, but if it's not too much work for the devs, I think it would be fantastic if they could be in the style of the early versions, where the color takes up the whole eye. 
  • Only the tips of the fins will be in the multicolored splashes, and below that the creature will take on the color of its fur color gene and pattern. Not sure if that's even possible to do, and if not maybe the creature could still have the dramatic fin shapes on the head, but instead the whole head will take the pattern and fur color. 

Please leave thoughts and comments below, and if anyone would like to draw this out please feel free to do so 

sirenhead.png

• Like 1

4 replies to this post

9 hours ago, Renio2490 said:

Why would the head give eyesight? Isn't that what eyes are for?

yep you're absolutely right, totally forgot that wasn't important to add since nothings being taken away 

so just the underwater breathing ability and the singing, (oops and smelling) 

Edited by Larawolf

The call being used for communication instead of as a lure for prey makes a lot more sense. And things underwater can have a scent, it's just that we (along with most other mammals) aren't able to smell underwater. As far as I'm aware, star-nosed moles are the only known mammals with the ability to smell underwater

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BirdsAreCool said:

The call being used for communication instead of as a lure for prey makes a lot more sense. And things underwater can have a scent, it's just that we (along with most other mammals) aren't able to smell underwater. As far as I'm aware, star-nosed moles are the only known mammals with the ability to smell underwater

I believe that they were referring to how you can’t currently smell for anything underwater in-game.

• Like 2