Stray Fawn Community

polycerate horns

kakapo123

4 replies to this post

An interesting way to take this idea would to have a separate gene for dual horns or not. This way both the dominant and the recessive horns show but the catch is that it can only work if ram horns  (or if any other horn genes are added, genes that wouldn’t conflict in placement) are one of the genes. Then you could have a nicheling with ram horns and antenna for example. Just an interesting thought I had though, I know it’s not super realistic but I thought it’d be pretty cool and worth at least mentioning.

Also maybe there could be a harmful no horns allele that could appear in this gene slot that would block the ability to produce any horns at all even if they would normally be present. That way there could be three alleles no horns > normal presentation > double presentation or something like that. Both of the altering alleles I mentioned would probably be rarer however. Maybe rouge males could carry the no horns gene to make them more detrimental.

This could also make the gene a representation of epistasis as well. An example of epistasis is Labrador fur colors represented by this chart where the “e” allele is melanin production (E can produce melanin, e cannot) and the “b” allele is color (black > brown) (sorry for rambling, this idea got me really going)

8BEE6146-39B9-42B7-A984-4C2E4158857B.jpeg.60c9188ffa3134ddb95b03136d67980b.jpeg: