Stray Fawn Community

derp snout causes respiratory problems

kakapo123

I have an issue with the derp snout not having any real debuffs other than not looking very appealing. It's supposed to be an undesirable gene, but it's stats are alright. It gives +2 smelling and +1 distasteful appearance. The distasteful appearance doesn't even make much sense, why would a predator care if it's prey has a deformity or not? 

Anyway, I was thinking that facial deformities are sometimes associated with respiratory problems. Even flat-faced pet breeds like pugs and Persian cats often have breathing difficulties

Basically, nichelings with the derp snout would have a small chance of being born with respiratory issues. It would be a permanent thing, so if a nicheling was born with it there would be no way of getting rid of it, but it wouldn't be contagious like sickness. An icon would show up above the nicheling's portrait in the same place where things like 'pregnant' or 'sick' show up. It would half the nicheling's speed, swimming and flight stats, unless it only has 1 in which case it would have no affect

I get that some people probably dont want this added cause it's a bad thing, but I'd like to see the derp snout have some sort of negative side affect

Edited by BirdsAreCool
changed it so it takes away from speed/flight/swimming instead of action points
  • Like 2

14 replies to this post

I like this a lot! I agree that Derp Snout should have some kind of debuff that would make it undesirable aside from aesthetic reasons. Maybe instead of there being a chance they're born with a condition, it automatically applies to all Derp Snouts? In that case it would have to be slightly less of a penalty, maybe not halving movement but -1 or -2 instead (minimum of 1, of course), but that way it wouldn't be left up to chance and would provide more incentive for breeding it out, like a deformed paw or blind eye gene. 

Another thing that could be added could be the negation of Underwater Breathing? Maybe that would be too much in conjunction with the other debuffs, but it could make sense that with respiratory problems they could have a -1 or -2 underwater breathing stat. Not sure if it's necessary or realistic, but it just popped into my head so I figured I'd tack it on, haha :) 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 9:48 PM, Emeraldheart said:

Another thing that could be added could be the negation of Underwater Breathing? Maybe that would be too much in conjunction with the other debuffs, but it could make sense that with respiratory problems they could have a -1 or -2 underwater breathing stat. Not sure if it's necessary or realistic, but it just popped into my head so I figured I'd tack it on, haha :) 

I don't think the derp snout would affect a nicheling's ability to breathe underwater seeing as the breathing difficulties caused by it would arise from having a deformed face and therefore a messed up nose and breathing passage (not very technical terms but I'm sure you know what I mean lol). nichelings that can breathe underwater breathe through gills from certain genes rather than through a nose. I believe the only way a nicheling with the derp snout would be able to breathe underwater would be to have that body which has all the fins and gills and stuff which I cannot remember the name of, and the gills on that should be far enough away from the face to not be affected by the deformities

Actions points are cool, but maybe they could just not move as much in another way? So if their speed is 5, they'd only have a two or three. Otherwise, picking a berry would be as exhausting as actually running. It helps that rogues are very slow, despite speed genes at times.

Another possibility is reducing their lifespan. The near immortal rogues on higher age settings would be nerfed that way, too. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RandomWanderer said:

Actions points are cool, but maybe they could just not move as much in another way? So if their speed is 5, they'd only have a two or three. Otherwise, picking a berry would be as exhausting as actually running. It helps that rogues are very slow, despite speed genes at times.

Another possibility is reducing their lifespan. The near immortal rogues on higher age settings would be nerved that way, too. 

That makes way more sense lol. I'll change it :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mulan the Cat said:

Maybe instead of lowering speed, swimming and flying it could take away an action (like when nichelings are too hot/cold). 

lmao it was originally that but @Spacestar TheThundersuncat suggested that it be changed to what it is now

On 3/10/2019 at 7:16 PM, Spacestar TheThundersuncat said:

Another possibility is reducing their lifespan. The near immortal rogues on higher age settings would be nerfed that way, too. 

I don't really have a preference for whether it reduces speed or action points, either could work really

On 8/2/2020 at 9:27 PM, BirdsAreCool said:

I don't think the derp snout would affect a nicheling's ability to breathe underwater seeing as the breathing difficulties caused by it would arise from having a deformed face and therefore a messed up nose and breathing passage (not very technical terms but I'm sure you know what I mean lol). nichelings that can breathe underwater breathe through gills from certain genes rather than through a nose. I believe the only way a nicheling with the derp snout would be able to breathe underwater would be to have that body which has all the fins and gills and stuff which I cannot remember the name of, and the gills on that should be far enough away from the face to not be affected by the deformities

Haha yeah, that's actually what I thought too! I thought I'd just add it on because it popped into my head but I figured that since their underwater breathing would come from the water body it wouldn't really make a difference ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I was trying to think of a debuff that could be an alternative to the speed one, so even though it didn't make technical sense I thought I'd suggest it since it had breathing in the name haha