Stray Fawn Community

Camel Hump (store fat and save food!)

VankirvanJD

Some of ya'll bout to be real mad at me, but it must be said. Camels are so underrated! They have so many unique adaptions and look so cool (especially bacterian camels), to me at least. And they can come in quite a bit of colors, which people don't usually realize. In conclusion, they're great.

But anyway I was thinking of some new genes the other day and I came up with two, one of them being a camel hump/camel body. I call it the Hump Body but there might be a better name for it. What the hump body does is store fat in it's hump by gathering food (like camels) which eventually gets full. A hump body nicheling will get 1 day's worth of fat stores for every 2 days (maybe longer or shorter depending on creature's longevity) the tribe is fully fed. From there they can use these stores as food for however many days their hump allows them, while simultaneously gathering food for the tribe. (Credit to @Pokestardragacraft and @BirdsAreCool for improving on this ability!)

Your nicheling will be able to choose when they start using their stored fat. What I mean is if they have say, 2 days worth of fat, from there they can live off of it for two days and don't have to wait to get a full hump. I believe camels can control how they use up their fat so this would be pretty useful.

Stats:

+1 Heat resistance

+1/2 Food Storing/ Fat Storing (this skill could probably be the same skill given to other food "storing" genes: https://strayfawnstudio.com/community/index.php?/topic/3737-cheek-pouches/#comment-17229

https://strayfawnstudio.com/community/index.php?/topic/2135-new-tail-blubber-tail/

https://strayfawnstudio.com/community/index.php?/topic/4170-leopard-gecko-tail/

Maybe Hump Body can be unlocked by having a certain amount of nichelings starve? Or maybe having to collect an x amount of times and spend an x amount of time in a savanna.

IMG_2818.thumb.jpg.825190fcaa864235ccdda477c856ca56.jpgIMG_2820.thumb.jpg.e5e65122187acc01e5aa4d87fed81e45.jpg

Edited some screenshots to give an idea of how it could look in game:

humps.png.b8517f0109e1393c46781fe2b986c74e.png

• Like 4

15 replies to this post

This is awesome :D

Perhaps to unlock it 30 nichelings would have to starve, I think that's the same amount as how many need to take damage to unlock the spiky body

I'm a little confused about how it would actually work though? How would it fill up with fat? As for using it, I'd rather it be kept as an emergency food store for when there's not enough food to go round. Instead of using up the fat stores as soon as they're gained, they would be kept for when there isn't enough food for every nicheling. This would make more sense, why use up emergency stores when there's plenty real food to eat instead?

Personally I think 2 humps would look better, but I'd be happy either way

Edited by BirdsAreCool
just the 1 hump actually looks better after seeing those edits
  • Like 2

@Pokestardragacraft I didn't even realise that until you pointed it out, I completely agree. It makes no sense to just trade 1 piece of food for 1 day's worth of fat stores when both do exactly the same thing

I think they should maybe gain 1 day's worth of fat stores for every set amount of days they get enough food. So for example every 5 consecutive days the tribe is fully fed every nicheling with the camel body could get 1 days worth of reserves

• Like 2

Just now, VankirvanJD said:

When they store food for themselves they don't eat, therefore not wasting an item of food and letting its tribemates have more for them. It'd almost be like not having an animal for a few days. Is that what you mean?

I understand the concept, I personally just don’t understand the application. If I have a humped nicheling collect 6 pieces of food in a starving tribe, I don’t understand why I would want to store any as I would want everybody to eat and my humped nicheling would take one piece of food anyways regardless if it was stored or in the tribe food stash.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, VankirvanJD said:

Maybe Hump Body can be unlocked by having a certain amount of nichelings starve? 

LOVE THISSSS If the nichelings could starve + spend a certain amount of days in the savanna? Or maybe if they starve over several days? It would make it really hard to get unless you're an idiot like me who always lets their babies starve XD

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pokestardragacraft said:

And yea I also don’t totally get the idea of storing food for individual nichelings and would rather have it for the entire tribe but it seems other people see the use.

When they store food for themselves they don't eat, therefore not wasting an item of food and letting its tribemates have more for them. It'd almost be like not having an animal for a few days. Is that what you mean?

2 minutes ago, Pokestardragacraft said:

I understand the concept, I personally just don’t understand the application. If I have a humped nicheling collect 6 pieces of food in a starving tribe, I don’t understand why I would want to store any as I would want everybody to eat and my humped nicheling would take one piece of food anyways regardless if it was stored or in the tribe food stash.

A humped Nicheling can still collect for the tribe with a full hump, but I do see what you mean with them automatically storing it. Perhaps they should choose when to store it.

• Like 1

only problem with this is that creatures generally wont live long enough to see a tier 4 or 5 since nichelings don't live longer then . In fact the day they get tier 5 hump would be their last day alive. I feel it should be every 2 days instead of 5 due to the low lifespan of the nichelings

6 hours ago, Baarko said:

only problem with this is that creatures generally wont live long enough to see a tier 4 or 5 since nichelings don't live longer then . In fact the day they get tier 5 hump would be their last day alive. I feel it should be every 2 days instead of 5 due to the low lifespan of the nichelings

Yep I was thinking that but I forgot to change it. Originally I thought 3 but 2 sounds good. Thanks for the reminder!