Stray Fawn Community

New Genes 005: Boars (It is the year of the pig after all)

Biogamer

I feel like it would be a new snout gene available, tusks. Now yes what about a pig snout or something along those lines. Though it would be priceless to see on a baby nicheling, big nose already fills in the role for smelling. It would be obtained by attacking 50 times and digging 30-50 times. The effects would be +1 strength, +2 smelling and +1 digging making this gene pretty worth it. And maybe a pretty good pattern too that could be shown during the juvenile stages two provide additional camouflage (not really sure for which environment). This could increase the chances of avoiding bluebirds for new borns and the other predators, this is linking to how baby wild boars (who are extremely adorable by the way) have a different pattern than adults to hide in the leaf litter.

Hope this was interesting, Sincerely Biogamer

download.jpg

• Like 4

10 replies to this post

In the case of the pattern, maybe it should be a new gene entirely. One allele would be normal presentation, and another would be a childhood pattern that would work the way you suggested. Other alleles that could fit in this gene slot could be aging patterns, bioluminescence, adult patterns (opposite of childhood patten), tricoloration, countershading, heavy presentation (darker more vibrant), and light presentation (faded pattern).

• Like 2

On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 7:21 AM, Biogamer said:

And maybe a pretty good pattern too that could be shown during the juvenile stages two provide additional camouflage (not really sure for which environment). This could increase the chances of avoiding bluebirds for new borns and the other predators, this is linking to how baby wild boars (who are extremely adorable by the way) have a different pattern than adults to hide in the leaf litter.

This should be given its own post. It says quite clearly at the top of the feature requests page that each new suggestion should be given its own seperate post, and I believe I've mentioned this to you a couple of times before. It's to avoid confusion if a post with multiple suggestions gets upvoted loads, and also to make sure each suggestion's votes can be compared to others fairly. A post with multiple suggestions could get lots of upvotes and no one would know which suggestion each vote is for. Please bear this in mind the next time you make a suggestion

As for the actual suggestion, I think this would be a great addition. Many animals have age-related dimorphism to help camouflage or otherwise protect the babies. Instead of being a specific pattern, it could be given its own gene slot. It would determine whether or not the pattern determined by the other pattern related genes (ie pattern type, colour, shape, size and density) stay with the nicheling throughout its life or disappear once it reaches maturity. This would solve the problem of what the pattern would actually look like and allow players to choose which pattern they want the babies to have

On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 1:23 PM, Biogamer said:

The baby boar pattern would give +3 camouflage in a biome depending on fur colour until the nichelings reach adulthood. Once a nicheling grows up they only get +1 camouflage, though if I remove it then there would be no need for this gene.

+3 camouflage is too much. A baby with stripes isn't going to be any better camouflaged than an adult with stripes. Also, if the adult loses the pattern when it reaches maturity why would it still have an extra +1 camouflage? Instead, I would leave the stats as they currently are for each pattern. A baby with stripes would have more camouflage in tall grass, a baby with spots would have more camouflage in the jungle biome, etc

1 hour ago, Biogamer said:

Thanks, but sorry for subconsciously stealing your idea. Great minds think alike (well everybody here does)

It's alright! I hadn't even thought about any camouflage for baby boar nichelings, which would be a pretty cool feature if you developed on it!

2 hours ago, Biogamer said:

The baby boar pattern would give +3 camouflage in a biome depending on fur colour until the nichelings reach adulthood. Once a nicheling grows up they only get +1 camouflage, though if I remove it then there would be no need for this gene.

Would it be stripes overlaying the animal's actual pattern that later disappear? Or will the stripes be replaced by the animal's grown pattern when it's an adult?

5 hours ago, VankirvanJD said:

Would it be stripes overlaying the animal's actual pattern that later disappear? Or will the stripes be replaced by the animal's grown pattern when it's an adult?

It would be the second option.

• Like 1