Angel's Homethread

Just now, Goggles-kun said:

this post was made by the single mom working class squad 

This post was made by My-family-has-way-too-many-problems squad

I love how private schools are great abroad. Meanwhile in reverse Australia:

A) you hate your children that much

B) there's no way they won't fail in a normal school

C) just try to kick them out for misbehaviour now

D). Actual private school as understood. Focus on the arts/sports/(...)

Just now, Spacestar TheThundersuncat said:

D). Actual private school as understood. Focus on the arts/sports/(...) 

The best way in America to probably get a scholarship is to play a sport in High School— especially if you’re a cis man playing football. I heard the girl’s soccer team at my school was modestly decent too.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Goggles-kun said:

The best way in America to probably get a scholarship is to play a sport in High School— especially if you’re a cis man playing football. I heard the girl’s soccer team at my school was modestly decent too.

Germany is hard on grades (numerus clausus). Austria lets people take an Aufnahmetest. Which you need a good few months to study for and is just about your subject. 

Meaning you could know nothing about anything else, have straight Ds in high school and be in the shape of a potato. People cringe (in fear) at the mention of American requirements. I honestly don't know how you manage the stress.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Spacestar TheThundersuncat said:

I honestly don't know how you manage the stress.

Believe me, we’re all stressed no matter what grade we’re in. Life has been pretty nice to me in terms of workload, but I would be lying if I said everyone in school is happy. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, wikipedia (angel) said:

also philo took my mod away   😔 👊

Are you sure that "Georgie" isn't just borrowing it?

2 minutes ago, Spacestar TheThundersuncat said:

What. That's impossible, they can't even use tools let alone communicate on the same level. Not to mention memory tasks. how

the spiders brain is actually located primarily within the web! when the web is taken away, these cogitative abilities go down! ^^ 

'It's part of a theory of mind known as "extended cognition," and humans utilize it too. For instance, we might like to think of our minds as contained in our heads, but we rely on a number of structures outside of our heads (and even outside of our bodies) to help us think. Computers and calculators are an obvious example. We organize our living spaces to help us remember where things are, we jot notes, and we take photographs or store mementos.

But these examples pale in comparison to how a spider's thinking is interwoven with its web. Scientists are discovering that some spiders possess cognitive abilities rivalling those of mammals and birds (such as crows), including foresight and planning, complex learning, and even the capacity to be surprised.' 

• Eek! 1

6 minutes ago, wikipedia [he/him] said:

the spiders brain is actually located primarily within the web! when the web is taken away, these cogitative abilities go down! ^^ 

'It's part of a theory of mind known as "extended cognition," and humans utilize it too. For instance, we might like to think of our minds as contained in our heads, but we rely on a number of structures outside of our heads (and even outside of our bodies) to help us think. Computers and calculators are an obvious example. We organize our living spaces to help us remember where things are, we jot notes, and we take photographs or store mementos.

But these examples pale in comparison to how a spider's thinking is interwoven with its web. Scientists are discovering that some spiders possess cognitive abilities rivalling those of mammals and birds (such as crows), including foresight and planning, complex learning, and even the capacity to be surprised.' 

I read this before, but it doesn't say they're the same. There's also only few select intelligent (often social) spiders, by far not all of them 

1 minute ago, Spacestar TheThundersuncat said:

I read this before, but it doesn't say they're the same. There's also only few select intelligent (often social) spiders, by far not all of them 

tbh, they have emotions and such, im willing to class it as similar enough to warrant the term same 

also, fun fact, not always! its actually more likely to be the cannibalistic spiders 

5 minutes ago, wikipedia [he/him] said:

tbh, they have emotions and such, im willing to class it as similar enough to warrant the term same 

also, fun fact, not always! its actually more likely to be the cannibalistic spiders 

I guess my source was wrong, then. Or not, I don't care much about insects, but I wrote my final english paper partly on what includes intelligence in animals. It definitely does not or we'd get some interesting legal problems very soon

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spacestar TheThundersuncat said:

I guess my source was wrong, then. Or not, I don't care much about insects, but I wrote my final english paper partly on what includes intelligence in animals. It definitely does not or we'd get some interesting legal problems very soon

oh god yeah, thatll be a Thing in the future if we prove that some animals are sophontic 

9 minutes ago, wikipedia [he/him] said:

oh god yeah, thatll be a Thing in the future if we prove that some animals are sophontic 

If you get some leading philosophical sentiments out of the way. I'm all for killing seaworld. But if they can't even get that right, there's little hope... and we know they're "like us". It's disgusting.