Stray Fawn Community

Hold signal logic gate

64-bit_dragon

Sometimes you don't want to activate a signal right away or you want it to keep going even after the key has been released by the user. Which, to my knowledge, isn't possible at the moment.

For the first, I would suggest an optional input key for the current "impulse giver"

And for the second I would suggest a new logic gate.

• Like 3

5 replies to this post

I'm more a fan of multiple simple parts instead of adding too much functionality to one single part for the sake of beginner friendliness :)

How about an if gate with 1 Input and 1 Output binding and a custom delay between the both?

I meant that the impulse giver automatically starts, which you may not want for a long sequence. From what I understand from your reply you mean a delay gate, which is also a good logic gate to have, but not the thing I meant. I hope you understand what I mean. Maybe an example will make it more clear: Wait 1.1 seconds Active time 2.3 seconds delay 0.2 seconds. So at the beginning of the level, it will wait 1.1 seconds after that it will continuously go active for 2.3 seconds and delay for 0.2 seconds (like it is now). This was what I meant with the second logic gate: 

The BUFFER Gate is an Automation Building that outputs Active when its input is Active, and momentarily continues to output Active when its input enters Standby. It is connected to other buildings via Automation Wire.

The amount of time the BUFFER Gate remains Active can be adjusted by the player, and can range from 0.1 - 200 seconds. When the input becomes Active again, the timer resets to the designated amount, and does not add to the current remaining time (if any). This Was copied from: https://oxygennotincluded.gamepedia.com/BUFFER_Gate they have a lot of good logic gates as well.

• Like 2

So one of these is like the impulse gate, but with a start-delay to engage more coordinated impulse control?  I like this.

If I understand buffer gates, they give an output while an input is received, but they don't start counting down to stop their output until that input stops, and that's what makes them special, yes?  That you can start that countdown by releasing an input? 

There is a suggestion up (Mine, I admit) to add an optional input to impulse (or a new logic block entirely) that if set, would execute the delay and then the keypress, then stop without cycling, to enable complex sequences.  This sounds like it would enable what you need.  If your trigger is X, and you had a logic part output Y if it did not detect X, then an input of Y could start that one impulse cycle that output Z for a proscribed time.

I can already imagine uses of a buffer gate that this could not handle, though, and I can imagine ways to handle most uses of that method with chains of buffer gates, so.....I had to ramble a little bit to think it through, but I think I agree with you.