Stray Fawn Community

Furries?(*OLD*)

Guest SilverTheNicheling

Guest SilverTheNicheling

Hello community ^^ Tis Silver here, and I wanna talk about something that’s been in my head for a little while now.. and it’s about furries, and the furry fandom, especially now that I also wanna ask if anyone here is a furry, or used to be one? Anyways let’s get on the topic.

So.. furries... what are they exactly? I have been told by my dad about how horrible degenerates furries are, but no, that’s a bit misunderstood, what I want to believe what a furry or anthro is, is that it’s a person that’s into anthropomorphic animals(and not in the weird way that I want you to see it as..) whether they’d be standing on two legs, or just talking in human speech, a furry is pretty much that.. it just requires an animal to at least have human traits to be anthropomorphic(and no, to me I am not counting Nichelings as anthropomorphic), and to be honest, every furry is just like us, they are not the same as you would expect, I mean you may try to find some content or people that are inappropriate in the fandom, but come on.. every fandom has that kind of stuff, and just like I said.. furries are people too.

Look I’m sure anyone here is probably a furry(don’t attack me for assuming... T_T) and maybe anyone here used to be one, well I’m here to tell you that I want to leave the fandom just for many reasons... I used to be on an app called Amino, and.. of course I joined furry amino cause yeah.. but anyways, when I came there, I mainly just posted art and blogs about my painful depressed life(huge regrets doing that actually...) and eventually I wanted to try doing an art project where I wanted to recreate old art I made, so I made a blog about it, officially stating that I wanted to, and to start off, I chose an old drawing I made way back in 2015 of a cat version of Dialga(I was a big Poké fan back in the day.. good times.. TvT)and right after I posted the blog, I was targeted by a child predator.... never really got those guys a lot, this was probably my first.. and it was scaring me to death... thankfully I chose to block him and never participate, and eventually I got the admins to ban him, but like.. after all that, it drove me far away from ever finishing my cat Dialga pic remaster, and it just eventually got me to leave the Amino because I’ve been having too much anxiety on my hands, and I just wanted to stay away from anything too social now because of how less social I can be and how I can only handle like maybe one or two people at a time... it just never really worked out..(also a bit off topic for a moment, I do have a DeviantArt, but it got boring overtime and I just wanted to stop using it).

Soooo yeah.... maybe not too harsh of a reason why I wanna leave the fandom, but I just don’t see a point in it.. I’ve never really met anyone fun or amazing there to be friends with, and Ik Amino is just a small part of it, but even then I quickly got bored of it and the people I met there, there’s just no absolute reason for me to be apart of those communities, but I’m hoping maybe here will be at least a safe haven, I am into Niche, so if you wanna talk about somethin Niche related with me then I’m happy to do so! Furries though? I’m not really gonna call myself a furry or be a part of the fandom anymore, I know it doesn’t make much sense but... fandoms are just hard to be in, you get attacked by those anti fans for doing what you like, and I just don’t feel like going through that because of how depressed I am these days and I just wanna enjoy what I love, especially being an artist and playing Niche and such since I really seem to be enjoying those more than being in a fandom where not only art and fursuiting exists, but also toxicity.

Oof.. okay, so hopefully writing so much of this wasn’t too much... but I’d like to end it off here by asking a couple of questions to you all... are you a furry? Or did you used to be a furry? That’s all I can say for now folks... until next time, I’m gonna be slayin some filthy beareynas.. Silver out!

19 minutes ago, SilverTheNicheling said:

are you a furry? Or did you used to be a furry?

To answer your question, yes I believe I am one. I don’t do things like walk around in giant dog costumes, but I think they look cute from afar and I sometimes check out fursuitter twitter pages. I totally understand as to why you want to leave the fandom; I, myself, haven’t been subject to an online predator, but I am proud you blocked him. As for finding nobody interesting: I can relate too. Most furries I know are the same in some terms... but as far as I know, the forums is a safe haven. I’m sure you’ll like it here.

• Like 3

Guest SilverTheNicheling
6 minutes ago, Goggles-kun said:

To answer your question, yes I believe I am one. I don’t do things like walk around in giant dog costumes, but I think they look cute from afar and I sometimes check out fursuitter twitter pages. I totally understand as to why you want to leave the fandom; I, myself, haven’t been subject to an online predator, but I am proud you blocked him. As for finding nobody interesting: I can relate too. Most furries I know are the same in some terms... but as far as I know, the forums is a safe haven. I’m sure you’ll like it here.

Well I’m glad to know that there’s people here that I can relate to, the fandom is much better off without me, but I can’t say that I do not support it, I think it is a great fandom that shouldn’t be filled with such toxicity and(outside of it) anti fans, which I guess I forgot to mention that I encountered one on YouTube that called me a “furry” after I made a innocent comment, which I swear would’ve been innocent! If it hadn’t end in “mrow <3” because I was talking about how adorable these wild cats are, seriously I’m about done being a furry because of all the shit I’ve gone through in it... like one little word and emoticon is enough to trigger an anti fan.

2 minutes ago, SilverTheNicheling said:

like one little word and emoticon is enough to trigger an anti fan.

Sometimes I tell myself to refrain from using stuff like “owo” too, mainly because I don’t want the anti-furries to immediately call me out for it/for people to think I’m immature. I use it around some people because I’m so used to it (I.e. my close friends), but other times I have to tell myself to not use text emoticons.

• Like 3

Guest SilverTheNicheling
Just now, Goggles-kun said:

Sometimes I tell myself to refrain from using stuff like “owo” too, mainly because I don’t want the anti-furries to immediately call me out for it/for people to think I’m immature. I use it around some people because I’m so used to it (I.e. my close friends), but other times I have to tell myself to not use text emoticons.

OwO what’s this? Another reply? NAH just kidding.. I don’t think I’m really gonna post stuff like that around public, especially here on the forums anymore, I’m just gonna keep it to straight normal emoticons like this “^^” and this “<3” without trying to reference a love for an animal and expect it to be innocent. :P (man.. why is the world so cruel... :’c)

I've heard conflicting information on what makes a furry. I would be a furry or not, depending on how people describe Furries...

If told one person I had a fursona, (and accidentally used :3 ) they might call me a furry. (GOGGLES...)

if I told someone else, they would say I am not a furry because I don’t dress up or get involved in the fandom.

• Like 2

i think i can help add to this! i’m a furry. people seem to argue about the term a lot but all the fellow furries i know just describe it as someone who likes anthropomorphic animals. i like them because of nostalgia- my childhood was a bit rough/volatile and the best, most consistent comfort i had when times were tough was in the characters of cartoons and disney films. i had an inherent love for animals, so my family always bought me things like The Fox and The hound, All Dogs Go to heaven, The Lion King, and shows like Catdog and Rocko’s Modern Life.

if i’m being honest with you, i don’t think fandoms of any sort are usually ever good. many fandoms have a herd mentality, and it often gets toxic. i believe it’s better to befriend someone with a variety of interests than just liking someone because they like the same thing as you. it gets old fast.

even anti-furries aren’t too bad. i usually like to be kind to them without letting them know i am a furry, and then casually mention it. after i explain why i like what i like, they usually end up more open to the furry fandom in general. most prejudice is due to a lack of knowing anyone who actually IS a furry, and i like to be a positive experience to change their point of view.

• Like 3

I am not quite sure if I am a furry or not, mainly because I don't like anthro animals too much (sometimes it just gets annoying when I see all the dogs/ wolves/ whatever dressed up all the time and the biological part of my brain goes like : they don't need clothes! They have fur) but I like the idea of talking animals or animals that have some degree of culture (like warriorcats). Apart from that I like the idea of having a fursona (I never officially made one though) and I think it is great when people have fun dressing up in fursuits. I like the looks of them even though I am not interested in doing it myself as of now.

Similar to medicine cat I loved animals as a child especially Lion King, Spirit and Balto and that love for animals is still around. I also loved to dress up as animals for carneval. I don't dress up anymore (to lazy).

As for furries in general. I like the idea and I find it awful that they get so much hate. That said the weirdos are in every fandom and haters are in every fandom and there isn't much you can do about it. I stand by the point of not judging/ hating people before you know what is going on and just because you had a bad expierence with one person doesn't mean all other people are bad. So I don't like blind hate or judge. Those people are just stupid and usually afraid and trying to boost their ego.

And if you want to leave a fandom that is fine. You have to do what makes you feel good and happy and always look out for your own happiness first before looking to others. So no judgement from my side :)

I hope you'll have more fun here :D

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Jojo said:

I am not quite sure if I am a furry or not, mainly because I don't like anthro animals too much (sometimes it just gets annoying when I see all the dogs/ wolves/ whatever dressed up all the time and the biological part of my brain goes like : they don't need clothes! They have fur) but I like the idea of talking animals or animals that have some degree of culture (like warriorcats). Apart from that I like the idea of having a fursona (I never officially made one though) and I think it is great when people have fun dressing up in fursuits. I like the looks of them even though I am not interested in doing it myself as of now.

Similar to medicine cat I loved animals as a child especially Lion King, Spirit and Balto and that love for animals is still around. I also loved to dress up as animals for carneval. I don't dress up anymore (to lazy).

As for furries in general. I like the idea and I find it awful that they get so much hate. That said the weirdos are in every fandom and haters are in every fandom and there isn't much you can do about it. I stand by the point of not judging/ hating people before you know what is going on and just because you had a bad expierence with one person doesn't mean all other people are bad. So I don't like blind hate or judge. Those people are just stupid and usually afraid and trying to boost their ego.

And if you want to leave a fandom that is fine. You have to do what makes you feel good and happy and always look out for your own happiness first before looking to others. So no judgement from my side :)

200% agree

• Like 2

Guest SilverTheNicheling
2 hours ago, RandomWanderer said:

Furrstuff seems a bit hard to get behind, as I don't like self inserts and OC's seem a bit too much. It's fine when others do it, but I just feel out of place and awkward, even on the RP here. 

I agree on the self inserts part, that’s why I made a partner for my OC Silver, now I just need to figure out how they’re going to grow as characters and their bond of course, because most OCs that I’ve seen are either under developed, or copied straight off from other’s ocs, and don’t even get me started on their ugly multicolor designs sometimes... really I just only went with a gray color palette for Silver and that’s it. As for Rps, I was originally a role player, somewhere on a game called Animal Jam that is.. where I used to love roleplaying Warriorcats(even though I sucked at it despite reading the books beforehand...)and after all that I just eventually retired and stopped, now I’m a terrible role player and I ruin my characters just because of that.. I’m not going down that route ever again.

Guest SilverTheNicheling
9 hours ago, Jojo said:

Well uh.. sorry for the late reply here, but this is some good stuff man! Much better than what I’m writing right now due to distractions.. I’d love to mention the fact that most of us animal lovers grew up watching animal Disney movies, and pretty much I have watched almost all of these listed here(and uh.. I wanna add a new one here: Bambi, anyone watched that before? Hope it’s just not me xD)so yeah there’s that, and the idea of fursuiting... which I wanted to get into before, only to realize making a fur suit costs so much making them so dang expensive... so I would just stick with ears, tails, paws, and maybe a collar.. eh I’m not really into that much either actually ;-;

Yes, the idea of the furry fandom and the history of its beginning are fascinating, it’s just what happened in the past has given them such a bad rep.. so nowadays you’ll find anti fans on the internet who’d wanna screw you over just because they are depressed af, I know their feels, but no one should lash out at others just because of their mental state... it’s not okay, thankfully I begin to ignore their intentions sooner than I thought, it just gets all in my head because of how I’m built and how I can have self-loathing sometimes to completely ruin my life.

So just to end it off here.. I wanna mention how you’re not too fond with anthro animals wearing clothes, and I can understand that, it’s just that for me.. my characters should wear clothes for reasons, and it’s just that for me they look good.. but I’m on either sides of opinions anyways ^^

Oh, and thank you! I do hope to have a great time here in the forums too! :D

Edited by SilverTheNicheling
Forgot to add another final message.

8 minutes ago, SilverTheNicheling said:

Well uh.. sorry for the late reply here, but this is some good stuff man! Much better than what I’m writing right now due to distractions.. I’d love to mention the fact that most of us animal lovers grew up watching animal Disney movies, and pretty much I have watched almost all of these listed here(and uh.. I wanna add a new one here: Bambi, anyone watched that before? Hope it’s just not me xD)so yeah there’s that, and the idea of fursuiting... which I wanted to get into before, only to realize making a fur suit costs so much making them so dang expensive... so I would just stick with ears, tails, paws, and maybe a collar.. eh I’m not really into that much either actually ;-;

Yes, the idea of the furry fandom and the history of its beginning are fascinating, it’s just what happened in the past has given them such a bad rep.. so nowadays you’ll find anti fans on the internet who’d wanna screw you over just because they are depressed af, I know their feels, but no one should lash out at others just because of their mental state... it’s not okay, thankfully I begin to ignore their intentions sooner than I thought, it just gets all in my head because of how I’m built and how I can have self-loathing sometimes to completely ruin my life.

So just to end it off here.. I wanna mention how you’re not too fond with anthro animals wearing clothes, and I can understand that, it’s just that for me.. my characters should wear clothes for reasons, and it’s just that for me they look good.. but I’m on either sides of opinions anyways ^^

Oh, and thank you! I do hope to have a great time here in the forums too! :D

I love bambi! :D 

Guest SilverTheNicheling
11 hours ago, medicine cat said:

i think i can help add to this! i’m a furry. people seem to argue about the term a lot but all the fellow furries i know just describe it as someone who likes anthropomorphic animals. i like them because of nostalgia- my childhood was a bit rough/volatile and the best, most consistent comfort i had when times were tough was in the characters of cartoons and disney films. i had an inherent love for animals, so my family always bought me things like The Fox and The hound, All Dogs Go to heaven, The Lion King, and shows like Catdog and Rocko’s Modern Life.

if i’m being honest with you, i don’t think fandoms of any sort are usually ever good. many fandoms have a herd mentality, and it often gets toxic. i believe it’s better to befriend someone with a variety of interests than just liking someone because they like the same thing as you. it gets old fast.

even anti-furries aren’t too bad. i usually like to be kind to them without letting them know i am a furry, and then casually mention it. after i explain why i like what i like, they usually end up more open to the furry fandom in general. most prejudice is due to a lack of knowing anyone who actually IS a furry, and i like to be a positive experience to change their point of view.

I hope it’s not gonna be too hard trying to befriend an anti-furry.. because I have high anxiety issues, and if I’m ever gonna meet these people and talk to them, just expect some breathing heavily and a lot of quick thinking from me for the time being.

So I know how you feel about anthro animals being nostalgic to you, I’m on the same boat here.. back in my day when I used to do traditional art, I would often times try to draw an existing character into another animal, and that would be something that would soon spark my creativity and skills further, I don’t do much of this stuff anymore though, but it would be nice to go back and draw a lot of other characters as cats! ^^

Guest SilverTheNicheling
1 minute ago, bostonlobstah said:

I love bambi! :D 

Childhood memories from that movie... :’j

I just wanna say, I am not a furry. I draw anthropomorphic creatures, Which are technically furries, but I myself am not.

so uh yeah

• Like 2

Guest SilverTheNicheling
8 minutes ago, Arteskue said:

I just wanna say, I am not a furry. I draw anthropomorphic creatures, Which are technically furries, but I myself am not.

so uh yeah

Then we are all on the same boat here! I draw anthros, but I do not want to officially be called a furry anymore, it’s just not my thing... and I wanna work on things outside of the fandom, such as getting myself well out of depression, and working on a story for my characters. I tend to see furry characters that people make really undeveloped and more of rather bait to them than just a REAL character, something that is eye candy for them, and ugh.. yes.. I was like this to my oc Silver once.. he is technically married at this point as I planned(boi srry for the spoiler alert there, I mean it’s still not the real thing just yet but yeah.. xP)and even then has kids of his own... but why though? Is it just because I have a shipping obession? Or does he really have a partner for a reason? Tis why I wanna work on developing story from now on outside of the fandom, and try to develop Silver more as a likable character, and one of the more reasons for me to keep him alive, he just feels... special to me.

Excuse my poor writing.. and I may have gotten a little bit carried away, anyways cheers to our similar thoughts and opinions! ^-^

2 hours ago, SilverTheNicheling said:

Then we are all on the same boat here! I draw anthros, but I do not want to officially be called a furry anymore, it’s just not my thing... and I wanna work on things outside of the fandom, such as getting myself well out of depression, and working on a story for my characters. I tend to see furry characters that people make really undeveloped and more of rather bait to them than just a REAL character, something that is eye candy for them, and ugh.. yes.. I was like this to my oc Silver once.. he is technically married at this point as I planned(boi srry for the spoiler alert there, I mean it’s still not the real thing just yet but yeah.. xP)and even then has kids of his own... but why though? Is it just because I have a shipping obession? Or does he really have a partner for a reason? Tis why I wanna work on developing story from now on outside of the fandom, and try to develop Silver more as a likable character, and one of the more reasons for me to keep him alive, he just feels... special to me.

Excuse my poor writing.. and I may have gotten a little bit carried away, anyways cheers to our similar thoughts and opinions! ^-^

How I elaborate on stories: Listen to music. Is there a particular line in that song that represents _____? If so, then what about the rest of the song?

Cheers! also would a anthro dragon count as a 'furry' or 'scaly'?

• Like 2

Guest SilverTheNicheling
47 minutes ago, Arteskue said:

How I elaborate on stories: Listen to music. Is there a particular line in that song that represents _____? If so, then what about the rest of the song?

Cheers! also would a anthro dragon count as a 'furry' or 'scaly'?

I do find that very interesting.. and an anthro dragon would be uh.. a scaly I guess? Cause it’s got scales... xP

I am not a furry. (but I dont hate them) I dont like people with animal costumes. (I think it is weird)  The only game about animals I play is niche. Also I dont like anthropomorphic animals. (These are just my oppinions, dont hate me)

Guest SilverTheNicheling
3 hours ago, A Nicheling said:

I am not a furry. (but I dont hate them) I dont like people with animal costumes. (I think it is weird)  The only game about animals I play is niche. Also I dont like anthropomorphic animals. (These are just my oppinions, dont hate me)

Ah, well thanks for telling me ^^ while Silver is technically an anthropomorphic animal character, right here he is a Nicheling! So I hope to do more art of him as a Nicheling to improve my art skills and have more variety! As for them fursuits.. I wouldn’t reccommend them anyways since they cost a lot of money, and yeah not all fursuiters are weird.. but I guess some are xP

11 hours ago, SilverTheNicheling said:

So just to end it off here.. I wanna mention how you’re not too fond with anthro animals wearing clothes, and I can understand that, it’s just that for me.. my characters should wear clothes for reasons, and it’s just that for me they look good.. but I’m on either sides of opinions anyways

That's perfectly fine. If you think it looks great than that's great :D

• Like 2

Guest SilverTheNicheling
29 minutes ago, Jojo said:

That's perfectly fine. If you think it looks great than that's great :D

One thing I don’t like about putting clothes on my characters though.. is trying to design fashionable clothes... you’d think that Silver would wear something grey and classy like his fur x3 well no.. generally I’d make him wear a jacket more because it fits his personality rather than his name, but holy moly he wears a lot of black... like his shirt, jeans, and jacket... and don’t even get me started on this one part where he puts on his swag glasses and acts like a cool hipster -_-

PAH! Just kidding of course!! XD he’s not actually a hipster.. he would rather fight hipsters today than just join their club lol and besides that I do think black fits him, he just wears it a bit too much to the point to where it’s crossing with his black spiked collar and black socks xP (oh sorry.. I feel like I got too carried away here, I tend to write longer messages than I should xD)

51 minutes ago, SilverTheNicheling said:

One thing I don’t like about putting clothes on my characters though.. is trying to design fashionable clothes... you’d think that Silver would wear something grey and classy like his fur x3 well no.. generally I’d make him wear a jacket more because it fits his personality rather than his name, but holy moly he wears a lot of black... like his shirt, jeans, and jacket... and don’t even get me started on this one part where he puts on his swag glasses and acts like a cool hipster -_-

PAH! Just kidding of course!! XD he’s not actually a hipster.. he would rather fight hipsters today than just join their club lol and besides that I do think black fits him, he just wears it a bit too much to the point to where it’s crossing with his black spiked collar and black socks xP (oh sorry.. I feel like I got too carried away here, I tend to write longer messages than I should xD)

Ahhh, an edgy OC! :D Gotta love it! XD

I have a hipster wolf OC I named Poppy. Recently I decided to make her vegan...because...because I can

she wears a beanie hat and everything :) 

• Like 1