Stray Fawn Community

Development WIP

Philo

4 hours ago, Markus said:

The "rabbit" was also my idea for the directional sensor. We're still very early so these are just a glimpse in how game development works xD one step at a time :) Thanks for the good ideas!

You're just happy that I'm supporting your ideas. I know your game, rogue.

• Like 1

Here's one first test of bringing two competing drones into one scene and let them race autonomously.

Everything you see in this video is most likely going to change - so consider this only as a sneak peak into that we're currently working on drones vs. drones as well :)

No details or comments on how that mode will work can be given at this point, I'm sorry :) 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Philo said:

Experimenting with obstacles in the autonomous drone racing mode. Not quite there yet xD
Disclaimer: Not even sure if this will be in the game at all, just testing out some things :)

THIS ABSOLUTELY HAS TO BE IN THE GAME, AT EXACTLY THIS OR GREATER LEVELS OF LETHALITY.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Lurkily said:

Are you guys trying something new with the distance sensors there?  Do they look different, or is that low resolution speaking? 

They were barely visible at a higher camera distances. So we now scale their width accordingly. May still need some tweaking.

• Like 1

Do you only have to get close to them, or cross a line that crosses the track there?  

I still like the idea of a 'rabbit' that runs the track ahead of you.  It can be given waypoints, too, where it slows down to keep closer to you. (So you can turn corners.)

I say have waypoint/rabbit races, AND free races, and tracks with moving obstacles for both.  Also, some kind of random influence, (procedural obstacles, wind, asteroids?) so that races aren't deterministic.

Any plans for a track editor?

• Like 1

Any plans for a track editor?

Unfortunately no. But we thought about it and we think it's a cool idea. But our resources are too limited to focus on such a thing for the time being :) 

We're not yet sure which thing we're prototyping is the best at the moment - and we don't know which and in what configuration we will implement it. We'll keep you up do date :) 

• Like 1

What  about procedurally generated tracks? 

Generate a waypoint pattern, generate debris or dangers that stay outside the 'rivers' between waypoints? (Rivers are what you call the paths of empty space up and down a book's page, too.)

I'd hate to see the top drones be specifically built to navigate THE maps, instead of being built to navigate well, period. 

• Like 2

YES.  ABSOLUTELY YES.

More procedural arenas will be awesome; we want drones designed for performance, rather than being designed to be capable on a set of specific maps.  Good design, not just tailored design.

Oh, and more of those moving, RIDICULOUSLY lethal bludgeons.  Those were hilariously awesome.  Put a detectable 'danger zone' indicator around the areas they sweep through.  (You're in tha . . . dayyyngah zoooone!)

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...