Stray Fawn Community

Birds!

bostonlobstah

I love birds! Birds are cool! (wait...) 

That is why I want more birds in the game. All we have right now are bluebirds, which are mean, and dodomingoes, which are cute but annoying. (That doesn't mean that none of the birds I am about to suggest are annoying however...)

Considering that the jungle is practically devoid of fauna, and landscapes in general lacking in birds, I thought that colorful food sources flying from the treetops would be awesome to see! These may be harder to implement than the bluebirds though, because these birds will have to have both a 'perching' position and a 'flying' position.

ANYway, here are some ideas that I have for different bird species. Most were inspired by North American bird species because those are what I know, but interpret them however you want. Let me know what you think!

1. The Roven, inspired by ravens and robins. The males are black and red, very protective of their territory and their mate. If you happen across 2 rovens fighting, stick around because one may kill the other, leaving you with free food! These birds are a bit smaller than bluebirds. When a nicheling attacks a female roven, it will call to attract a male roven, which will deal 1 damage to said nicheling. Like the Mocking Finch, these birds can sit in trees or fly around. Males are usually found in the air, but a female with a mate will usually be found collecting grass on the ground and then building a nest in a treetop, in a nest with eggs that hatch after 2 days. After another 2 days, the birds will leave the nest to become adult rovens. They are found in swamp and grassland biomes and drop 8 food. The eggs are worth 1 food point each. In order for a nicheling to kill it in one hit, it must have at least 3 strength.

Stats: +2 eyesight, +1 hearing, +1 smelling, +2 flying, +2 speed, +1 collecting, +1 digging, +1 insect collecting, +1 strength, 

2. The Mocking Warbler. Inspired by the Tropical Mockingbird and Prothonotary Warbler. Okay, this one is kind of annoying. It is slightly smaller than the rovens and it steals berries and roots. But this bird is best known for its deceptive calls. It can replicate any in-game sound effect, which can lure or scare away different entities, including prey, bearyenas, and wanderers, depending on the sound. Its regular call is a series of reedy, high pitched chirps. They are often found perching in a tree or pecking at the ground. Flying nichelings can attack it while it is sitting in the tree or when it is in the air, like a bluebird. Nichelings who cannot fly can attack it when it is on the ground, but they are harder to catch. It gives 5 food. It takes a nicheling with 2 or more strength to kill it in one hit. It is found in the grassland, jungle, and swamp biomes. 

Stats: +2 eyesight, +1 hearing, +1 smelling, +3 flying, +2 speed, +1 collecting, +1 digging, +1 insect collecting, (can gain other bonus stats such as attractiveness or strong voice depending on mocking call used)

3. The Wrush. Inspired by wrens and thrushes. A tiny, quick and shy bird that is slow on the ground but rarely found down there. He is usually found hiding in trees and occasionally will flitter to nearby trees and collecting the nuts and seeds from the tree. They are found in the grassland biome, and the forest biome if that gets added (the other birds above would be found in the forest too). They drop 3 food. Nichelings must have at least one point of strength to kill it in one hit.

Stats: +2 eyesight, +1 hearing, +1 smelling, +4 flying, +1 speed, +1 collecting, +1 digging, +1 insect collecting

4. Pearons! A peafowl and great blue heron mix. They are found wading along the the shores of the jungle and grassland, and all throughout the swamp biome, where they are most common. Their long heron necks allow them to eat snails off of mangrove trees from the ground. They are also exceptional fishers, which is why they are so often found by the shore. Males have a showy display to attract females, who will then seek out a nest by the shore to lay her eggs, like the dodomingo. Females sitting on eggs will get defensive if you try to approach them, and after giving a warning screech, will give you a sharp peck! They live 10 days and drop 8 food when killed. Their eggs are worth 2 food each.

Stats: + eyesight, +1 hearing, +1 smelling, +2 flying, +1 speed, +1 collecting, +4 fishing, +2 strength

5. Owgles. A nocturnal creature that makes its moves at night, like the predators. They are very stealthy with their quiet wings, and have exceptional eyesight. Every night they come out and grab a nearby rabbil, stagmole, or unprotected baby nicheling, and then retreat back into their hidden tree. They live in forests, or grasslands and mountain biomes with more than a few trees, so you have to scout out and find them. They live for 20 days and drop 10 food when killed.

Stats: +4 eyesight, +1 hearing, +1 smelling, +5 flying, +2 strength

I'm also thinking about a savanna-specific bird, that lives on a cactus! And super colorful tropical jungle birds!

That's it for now! If you have any other great ideas for species of birds, please share!

birbs.thumb.gif.bf065a60371324a4392f55f6d42f8583.gif

Forest biome! Go upvote it if you haven't already!

• Like 5

11 replies to this post

I think more birds would be a great idea! I’ve actually been sitting on this bird idea I’ve had for a very long time and hopefully it’ll get to see the light of day soon (I’d love to release it with some concept art is anyone wants to give it a shot (PM me)). I think my favorite is the mocking warbler, I think it has a cool mechanic. Also as others have already stated, some creatures have health bars instead of lifespans which I think could be made more clear in game with this suggestion: 

I’d also recommend separating each bird into its own post so people can vote on them individually. Here are other bird suggestions too:

And a dodomingo expansion suggestion:

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Skysplash8 said:

By 'lives for x days', do they die after x days, or are like rabbils in that they can't die of old age, only from damage from an attacker (that results in x or more days of damage)?

See, that’s whats screwing up the number. I thought that Rabbils only lived 2 days because it takes 2 strength to kill one. I didn’t know they were immortal! So I guess I need to change the numbers a bit. Thanks for clarifying!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pokestardragacraft said:

I think more birds would be a great idea! I’ve actually been sitting on this bird idea I’ve had for a very long time and hopefully it’ll get to see the light of day soon (I’d love to release it with some concept art is anyone wants to give it a shot (PM me)). I think my favorite is the mocking warbler, I think it has a cool mechanic. Also as others have already stated, some creatures have health bars instead of lifespans which I think could be made more clear in game with this suggestion: 

I’d also recommend separating each bird into its own post so people can vote on them individually. Here’s another popular bird suggestion too:

Thanks! I also think this kind of relates to the male and baby Dodomingos, I should have linked them here.

the reason why I didn’t separate each species is because they aren’t set in stone suggestions, but rather ideas; glimpses in what could happen if birds were added. If I separate them, I think that the bird idea as a whole would get fewer votes too.